Best IP cam motion detect monitor/record software?

ianm

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a few low cost IP cameras (Foscam and Tenvis) around the house, and would like to automatically upload video clips to a NAS on motion detection. Can anyone recommend a good software option for doing this? (for either Windows Server or Linux)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few low cost IP cameras (Foscam and Tenvis) around the house, and would like to automatically upload video clips to a NAS on motion detection. Can anyone recommend a good software option for doing this? (for either Windows Server or Linux)
Take a look at blue iris...milestone is also a good choice and free for 8 cameras or less...

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Windows wise, popular ones are Blue Iris, Milestone, and I've talked to a number of users working with Exacq (Exacq also works on Linux).

Linux wise (most of my work+personal time these days is Linux focused, so this is where the brunt of my experience lies), the big ones I've used were Motion, ZoneMinder, and Bluecherry.

Motion = Free, open source, already in most repos. Daemon-based utility, no GUI, all config file based. This has some massive advantages as you can back up your entire CCTV system (as far as your settings anyway) in a matter of 10 KB worth of .conf files. Kind of awesome. Downsides, no GUI, MJPG only (though I heard talk of RTSP support on a certain branch of motion on the mailing list not too long ago), and given the name is Motion you can probably guess their focus is... motion detection. Being a fan of full time recording, this wasn't my cup of tea, but I still used Motion for years and loved it. I did a two part YouTube tutorial on it (link here to part 1). No mobile client, though you can interface something like TinyCam with it, as Motion does have support to act as a web server.

ZoneMinder = Free, open source, already in most repos but not sure if most repos have the latest build. ZM is a bit intense to set up, requires a decent amount of command line knowledge, database setup, etc etc. It requires a bit of fine tuning without a doubt, but some users dig it. I eventually stopped using ZM after my cameras would just kind of... stop recording. I've heard some folks overcoming this, but I didn't dive in too deep. ZM relies on the web UI for use, which can be a hassle with Chrome (hardlocked number of threads/feeds), but Firefox is a bit better. Personally, web UI's with video surveillance have yet to impress me, and I even have pretty low standards. That said, with it being web based, your feeds/events/settings/etc are accessible from pretty much any device, so there's that.

Bluecherry = Licensed software, but with an open source cross-platform client (Windows, Mac, Linux) with the server portion being Linux based, along with access to a basic web interface. The client is the meat of the software, which is where you pull up past events, set up cameras, manage settings, set up the live view, etc -- no need RDP/VNC/etc into the box. Very simple to install, very quick to set up, and have had no major issues to report after a year of using it. The support team is great and the software itself runs very light on my far-from-new home server. No mobile client yet, but like Motion you can leverage TinyCam to interface with it for live feeds. I also did a lengthy overview of Bluecherry, found here.

You mentioned sending the events to a NAS. Can I ask why? You should be able to accomplish this in most situations, such as creating an NFS or SMB link between your PCNVR and NAS, but why not leverage storage built into whatever your recording device is? Also keep in mind, most PCNVR solutions have built in features to auto-purge files after the disk hits 90-95%ish full. Unless you have some sort of quotas or partitions set up on the NAS to house the recordings, I would suspect the PCNVR would continue to hammer the NAS with more and more feeds until it maxes.

On the other hand, you should be able to utilize built-in storage to the PCNVR, and just share that directory out via Samba/SMB (which would allow Win/Mac/Linux clients to access). Typically you wouldn't want/need to interface with the raw footage though, as most folks opt to let the management features of their PCNVR handle that, but without knowing more about your particular scenario I figured I'd mention it as an idea.

ianm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of a free solution as I'm now retired, so it looks like Milestone could be a good starting point for my investigation (I have less than 8 cameras).

Re. recording to NAS - it's not strictly a NAS appliance but an HP Microserver (Gen8) running Lubuntu 16.10 which I'm using as a headless storage device. It's located in the attic of my house, so is less likely to disappear in the event of a burglary. That's why I want to upload video to that device on motion detection.

I'm not very handy with the Linux command line, so Bluecherry sounds like the best Linux option if I decide to go down that route. At $50 for the cheapest licence it would need to offer significantly more than Milestone.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hear you. It's hard to beat free. I don't have a problem paying for software as long as it does the job I need. You may very well find that Milestone Free Edition does what you need it to. I've heard of others using it, so I'm sure it has its benefits. I'd be curious if others using Milestone Free could chime in, as I am not entirely fluent with their licensing structure. It's free for 8 cameras, but what if you make it to 9? How much does the cost change to the end user? You may not think you'll surpass the threshold, but I think it's worthwhile to entertain the possibility. That way you're armed with answers if you ever get to that point.

I'm having a hard time recalling the details (I've used enough PCNVR solutions that "what-does-what" tends to blur together after a while), but one thing that stood out to me with Bluecherry was exporting to mkv; a file format that can play back on an array of video players. A number of times in the past at a previous job I was tasked with digging up feeds off of our old work DVR to hand over to police. Each time I wanted to flip tables and burn things, as the lackluster gear they had recorded to a proprietary format that worked 60% of the time, all the time. I'm sure newer age gear is better in this regard, but the scars remain, so having that flexibility was a huge benefit for me. Just knowing I can dump a file on a flash drive, hand it off, and know for a fact it'll work regardless of what the recipient uses is a great feeling. In fact (side story), when something happened in our area and police called me (they knew I had cameras as I called them for a prior incident with guys going through an unlocked car in our driveway 2 years ago), I simply uploaded the feed to my web server and emailed them the link. Never saw a police officer, but they downloaded it and 2-3 weeks later caught the guys thanks to the feeds... all while I sat on my recliner. Anyway, I also dig the server+client relationship. Server is extremely hands off, client presents you with all of the features, you make adjustments, set up live view, etc., server responds accordingly. Also, I'm sure you took note of this, but just in case, note that the $50 license cost is for a "4 pack" of licenses. i.e. you get one code that opens 4 slots. They're stackable as well. I have 2 licenses, thus 8 slots on my server for cams.

One benefit that you have here that I would recommend utilizing is the fact that A) Milestone Free is free, + B) Bluecherry has a 30 day free demo. I'm sure others have demos and trial periods as well. Check them out, beat them up, smack them around a little bit. See what you think.

re: Record to NAS - I like that line of thinking. It may be possible to save to different locations right in the software itself. Each one has its own set of capabilities.

And of course, you could possibly leverage some OS-specific features in conjunction with the PCNVR saving in multiple locations as well. You could just punch in a \\path\to\remote\server path on Windows to send the secondary feed over Samba, or \media\remote-server on Linux via NFS/SMB, barring the software supports it anyways.

On that note, if your chosen PCNVR doesn't handle multiple locations, you could probably just cron/scheduled task a job to run every minute and sync the feeds over. :p

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Milestone would cost a lot once you moved to 9 cameras.... blue cherry is a nonstarter for many since there is no moble app so you cannot review recorded video on your mobile... milestone is a much better choice of running 8 cameras or less...

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Indeed. The lack of a mobile client is surely a bummer, though I keep hearing talk about one coming about, so we'll see how that goes. I'm at least thankful that TinyCam does great with the live view, though. I have to say, in my experience, any school district or business I've worked for that has gone back to recorded video, first thing they did was pull up the feeds on a computer. I know it doesn't work for everybody and everybody's use case is different, but the idea of a larger screen to review the footage seems to be the big pull anytime past archives are needed for reference. I can certainly see the benefit of having the mobile with past footage capability though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed. The lack of a mobile client is surely a bummer, though I keep hearing talk about one coming about, so we'll see how that goes. I'm at least thankful that TinyCam does great with the live view, though. I have to say, in my experience, any school district or business I've worked for that has gone back to recorded video, first thing they did was pull up the feeds on a computer. I know it doesn't work for everybody and everybody's use case is different, but the idea of a larger screen to review the footage seems to be the big pull anytime past archives are needed for reference. I can certainly see the benefit of having the mobile with past footage capability though.
school district or business maybe...but home use most users what to check on alerts, kids coming, in and out..etc

Reaction score
I have bluecherry on my Linux/Ubuntu PC running as the server and client. I was attracted to it for many of the reasons jasauders mentioned. In addition, I was impressed with the support for my mishmosh of camera brands. I found bluecherry to have a comparable amount of set up options for many off brand cameras. I wasn't as interested in a mobile based client to review footage since I was already using a combination of ipcamviewer on my Android and the camera built in motion activated email alerts. If something suspicious came up, I would research later. Bluecherry has been an excellent solution for me in this regard. No crashes and easy to set up, especially when compared to zoneminder.

As Ubuntu was free I saved the $100 or so on the Windows license (I built a new box so I had no existing OS). Bluecherry I was $50 for a 4 camera license. From a usability standpoint and overall end user experience for those not comfortable with a linux install or already have a solid PC for a server, I would go with blueiris or exacq. If you're starting fresh with no OS and thinking about cost & stability then you should consider bluecherry. Haven't used Motion, but I have 24/7/365 recording set up.