Best i7 deal

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What's the best i7 computer deal that anyone has located currently?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Dell's current relevant sale is 35% off OptiPlex desktops. http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/28/campaigns/dell-coupons-codes-us-outlet-new?dgc=SM&cid=161&lid=433144154

Best i7 box I see right now is $809 which comes to about $525 after coupon discount. Plus tax. Not a spectacular deal, but not terrible considering it is a mini tower and therefore somewhat expandable with more hard drives. 3 year warranty. It says only one in stock, so it will probably sell before you even see it, leaving only some a few hundred $$$ more expensive.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Better one available right now:

After the coupon discount it should be $435 plus tax.

Available via the same link as above; just click the button for OptiPlex desktops and filter by i7

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I love my 7010. I imagine the 7020 is better, but I got a steal of a deal so I can't argue against it.
It is a solid computer. If you want to be frugal hit up craigslist as many local shops often have off lease machines cheaper.

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience, nvidia graphics may improve CPU usage when the local viewer is open, especially when you are running a high resolution monitor. My GTX 950 runs like 20-25% GPU usage with the live view open (0% with it closed) on a 2560x1440 monitor, so it is taking a significant load away from the CPU. Just something to keep in mind. In many cases the extra power draw of the graphics card may be worth it, but in many other cases it will not be.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't mind used, I just received this from Newegg today:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA3ZV8471

I paid $235, looks like it's only $220 now. It's a bit dusty with a few scratches but I don't mind.
Looks like a decent deal for a medium sized Blue Iris server. That CPU is quite old now, and while it isn't all that much slower, it is less energy-efficient and that will cost you in the long run. Enough to make up the price difference between it and a Haswell or newer machine? Probably not. It should at least still work with hardware accelerated H264 decoding in Blue Iris.

It also comes with 32-bit Windows so it won't run 64 bit versions of software. Likely the 32-bit memory limit will be the bottleneck for Blue Iris before the CPU speed is.

spy70

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I just paid about 300$ (300 CHF) for a used laptop samsung npv350-v5c i7 with integrated Intel graphic adapter (+ AMD adapter (dual graphic adapter in fact)).
It is amazing how it performs so well with Blueiris.
The cpu is a 3630qm

Power consumption is so low. About 25W!!!!!!!
I measure it with a specific and precise tool.

CPU utilisation is only....16% with 7x 2cd2032 hikvision and hardware acceleration enabled.
Really amazing.

Benefit of laptop is:
- energy saver because cpu are designed in laptop to be efficient;
- small space required;
- usually it is silent;
- cost less than a dedicated tower

Congratulations to Ken to succeed to design a so perfect software!

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like a decent deal for a medium sized Blue Iris server. That CPU is quite old now, and while it isn't all that much slower, it is less energy-efficient and that will cost you in the long run. Enough to make up the price difference between it and a Haswell or newer machine? Probably not. It should at least still work with hardware accelerated H264 decoding in Blue Iris.

It also comes with 32-bit Windows so it won't run 64 bit versions of software. Likely the 32-bit memory limit will be the bottleneck for Blue Iris before the CPU speed is.
Usually I don't consider power consumption as a factor but the fact that this thing runs 24/7 you are right it can definitely makes some difference. Assuming it uses 50W more (doubt it's that much though), at 15 cents per kwh it'll still cost me about $5 more per month in operating cost, which is more than I anticipated but I can live with it. I'll be putting Windows 10 64-bit on a 3TB WD Purple drive today. It will be a significant upgrade from my slow AMD processor (on which BI ran surprisingly stable despite using 100% CPU at all times).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Usually I don't consider power consumption as a factor but the fact that this thing runs 24/7 you are right it can definitely makes some difference. Assuming it uses 50W more (doubt it's that much though), at 15 cents per kwh it'll still cost me about $5 more per month in operating cost, which is more than I anticipated but I can live with it. I'll be putting Windows 10 64-bit on a 3TB WD Purple drive today. It will be a significant upgrade from my slow AMD processor (on which BI ran surprisingly stable despite using 100% CPU at all times).
Likely the difference is only in the 10 to 20 watts ballpark.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just paid about 300$ (300 CHF) for a used laptop samsung npv350-v5c i7 with integrated Intel graphic adapter (+ AMD adapter (dual graphic adapter in fact)).
It is amazing how it performs so well with Blueiris.
The cpu is a 3630qm

Power consumption is so low. About 25W!!!!!!!
Nice find. Assuming the laptop's cooling can keep up, that CPU is similar speed to a desktop i5 that would use more power. I avoid laptops for servers though because they almost always lack an automatic power-on after power loss feature -- a must-have for someone who spends much time away from home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@spy70 Here is a power consumption same for an i5-4590 haswell..https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5696-PC-NVR-Power-Consumption-Sample?highlight=consumption 25w at 30 percent load...
That unit is virtually silent, costs about the same as the laptop..3 year next business day warranty included and has room for both a 2.5 drive and a full 3.5 drive..

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! I picked one up!
Should be a good machine. I will be installing Windows 10 64-bit on a 3TB WD drive and an additional 4GB RAM. Make sure to upgrade the BIOS first. It came with A10 I upgraded to A19. Also the SATA cable came loose on the HD from shipping so make sure you check the connectors if you run into any issues.

spy70

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice find. Assuming the laptop's cooling can keep up, that CPU is similar speed to a desktop i5 that would use more power. I avoid laptops for servers though because they almost always lack an automatic power-on after power loss feature -- a must-have for someone who spends much time away from home.
For automatic power-on, you can use the WOL function of your modem for example. You can even use an internet server to order to the modem to send the WOL packet. So this is not a problem. This is what I am using precisely to do it.

And I forgot to mention this laptop use about 25W for 7x 3MP hikvision 20FPS. I know 20FPS is useless but it is more fun and "smooth" to could watch the animals who come during the night :), without stuttered movie