Best Hard Drive?

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been doing some researching and came across this Tom's Hardware article comparing some of the different hard drives that can be used for surveillance purposes.

Surveillance Hard Drive Shoot-Out: WD And Seagate Square Off

While it mostly focuses on WD purple vs. Seagate Surveillance, it also compares some of the enterprise hard drives such as WD enterprise RE and SE drives which, based on their testing, appears to have superior performance and also lifespan as well. Since this article WD has its newest enterprise drive, the datacenter gold which, I believe, is the successor to the WD RE line. I've seen the WD datacenter gold 4tb being priced around $160-170. Considering the WD purple 4tb is $140, would the small extra bucks be worth it for such an upgrade? Do people feel the enterprise drives are not really appropriate for surveillance purposes despite what the article is stating? Also I managed to order from Best Buy 8TB WD easystore hard drive which has WD Reds inside. I was thinking about using it for Plex storage as it Reds are designed for NAS, but would a Red still be ok for surveillance? BTW I'm planning on having about 12 IP cameras.

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns. Would you say your reasoning is because purples are more reliable, better performing, or because they're equivalent but cheaper?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns. Would you say your reasoning is because purples are more reliable, better performing, or because they're equivalent but cheaper?
Because that's what the experts, that have done this for years stick with. They are proven.

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What a horrible answer! I mean I'm sure your right but that's just a depressing attitude in general, imagine where Elon Musk would be now if he stuck to the tried and tested?? Although I'm not sure hard drive choices quite deserve that comparison :D

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What a horrible answer! I mean I'm sure your right but that's just a depressing attitude in general, imagine where Elon Musk would be now if he stuck to the tried and tested?? Although I'm not sure hard drive choices quite deserve that comparison :D
And i'm sure Elon uses cheaper third party products in his vehicles because they don't need to be the expensive proven parts that will not let him down over the lifetime of the vehicle, yeah.....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once upon a time in my younger days, I didn't think twice about living on the bleeding edge with tech. But soon grew tired of being a beta tester. Now just want it to "work".

upload_2017-8-22_12-49-23.jpeg

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And i'm sure Elon uses cheaper third party products in his vehicles because they don't need to be the expensive proven parts that will not let him down over the lifetime of the vehicle, yeah.....
Um, I'm not sure we are discussing cheaper? Are the ones the OP mentioned cheaper?
I was thinking more like Teslas decision to drop the tried and tested 18650 to develop their own superior product etc etc...

I'm certainly not against tried and tested, if that's what you want, more power to you, I'd probably do the same. I also like to see the results others get from pushing past the tried and tested.

WD enterprise RE and SE drives which, based on their testing, appears to have superior performance and also lifespan as well.

SoCal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WD has beena winner for me
Found a few 10+ year old and threw then a nix box Yuuup hello

Telsa? I just lemon lawed mine :)