Best E-Locks for exterior doors?

TundraCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It seems that there are a few that should be avoided as they are not very secure. I'd read somewhere a year or two ago to avoid Baldwin as they used a cheap circuit that was easily hacked and their locks could be drilled easily. Are there others that s/b avoided? Any that are especially good?

Best to avoid WiFi locks and stick w/ only BT & Zigbee?

One feature that we THINK we'd want is to unlock from Apple Watch so that when we return from dinner on our bikes that we can easily get in. That might open up security problems that we don't want though? BTW, Control 4 does not have a functioning Apple Watch app so that's not an option.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Yale wave locks, Particularly the models with No key. Make sure the jamb is reinforced

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 for the Yale Z-wave locks - early adopter, had one for a few years. All have keypads, options for key lock & handles.
Can set pin codes assigned as needed (with schedules aka house cleaner, guests), monitor who locks & unlocks, battery status, etc.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I use kwikset both Zwave+ and Zigbee version .. I have three of those locks on my house. Works great.....

However, I have it all paired to Hubatit hub which use secured airwave traffic to all three locks plus my garage door opener. I heard some brand locks can be paired to Alexa or Google that it will allow you to link ot to Homekit (Apple Home) where you can unlock it with your watch etc.

I use BridgeMaker API linked to my Hubatit and the locks show up on my iPhone in Apple Home app where I can unlock the door or open the garage door. It's not exactly plug and play and It will require some moderate coding skill to set up a system like this.

TundraCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all. I think we're going with Yale Assure SL's w/ the Control 4 Zigbee module. Unfortunately this will not allow us to unlock w/ our Apple Watches which would have been very convenient, particularly in the rain, but other bits ended up outweighing that.

Covert One

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went with the Schlage Camelot Connect locks. They are a grade 1 lock but as was said, make sure the jamb is reinforced. Very happy with the locks. You can catch them for a decent price if you shop around and depending on the style wanted.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Any Zigbee, Zwave+, or Wifi devices can be controlled by Apple products even if the product does not have "Apple HomeKit" logo on the box.

It's just depends on what hub the Zigbee lock will be paired to and finding a api bridge to operate the locks using Apple products.

I use Homebridge on Raspberry PI and AppleTV as the hub for Homekit.

dommalcom

n3wb
Reaction score
It is mandatory to have a safe advanced lock and key system in the front doors. I would strongly suggest you go with WiFi lock systems since you want to connect with devices like Apple smartwatches. I think better than Bluetooth or Zigbee, WiFi locks will do the job. What I understood from your requirements is that you are looking forward to locking systems that cannot be easily hacked but can be easily accessed by you, anywhere. The security system should be customized to your requirements which includes, you enter your house anytime without many complications from the alert systems you have installed. It’s like having an alarm eye. A god’s eye. This serves a greater purpose of having a video verification system, with actual visuals accessed easily from your devices. This ensures more visibility and security. Something you can consider

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
It is mandatory to have a safe advanced lock and key system in the front doors. I would strongly suggest you go with WiFi lock systems since you want to connect with devices like Apple smartwatches. I think better than Bluetooth or Zigbee, WiFi locks will do the job. What I understood from your requirements is that you are looking forward to locking systems that cannot be easily hacked but can be easily accessed by you, anywhere. The security system should be customized to your requirements which includes, you enter your house anytime without many complications from the alert systems you have installed. It’s like having an alarm eye. A god’s eye. This serves a greater purpose of having a video verification system, with actual visuals accessed easily from your devices. This ensures more visibility and security. Something you can consider
WIFI radio will drain the battery quicker than zwave or zigbee radio.

My lock is a Kwikset Zwave+ and the battery on the front door last at least a year before it needed to be replaced. ZWave+ does support encryption and all my house lock and the garage controller use encryption when communicating to the hub.

Radio wave hack are almost non-existence unless the hackers are smart enough not to brag about it or share it :p Most hacks occurred by gaining access to the hub itself that are controlled by apps on personal mobile devices which make the airwave encryption worthless in the first place anyway..

I do not use encryption on my other home automation devices such lights or switches to save CPU usage on my hub, just the door locks and garage door controller.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been using the Schlage locks with great luck, both home and business.
Works great for temporary use for a contractor, or employee so you can terminate access any time.
Battery life seem about the same as the z-wave I replaced.
Of course, the lock is only as good as how it's mounted.

TundraCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We went w/ the Yale locks and so far so good. I've not done anything yet w/ a system for unlocking w/ Apple Watch and given other priorities that will likely be later this year or early next year but we'll see.

BTW, all exterior doors are reinforced as manufactured. Most also have either 3 point or 5 point locking.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We went w/ the Yale locks and so far so good. I've not done anything yet w/ a system for unlocking w/ Apple Watch and given other priorities that will likely be later this year or early next year but we'll see.

BTW, all exterior doors are reinforced as manufactured. Most also have either 3 point or 5 point locking.
how do you like the Yale ???