Best Dahua dome Camera

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I was wondering If any of you could give me a recommendation/Advice on a good Dahua (Dome Style) Camera with Starlight Technology.

Should also have the following:
SD Card Storage.
Starlight Technology with good low light Performance.
(Not Sure If 0.009 on some 100Euro Models is actually so much worse than a more expensive 0.001 or 0.002 Model).
Good Audio Recording.
Good Dayligt Performance (Faces, Number Plates of passing Cars).
Good Frame Rate 25+

The Camera shall be mounted beside our entrance Gate in a stone Post. So you See the Gate lenghtwise with the road and cars passing by directly parallel.

Car lights seem to be a big issue for a standard Camera Like Reolink, hikvision etc. at night. It is impossible to See the number Plate.

Other Details:
One rather Low light, Street light Post ist parallel to the Road 10 meters diagonal away from our gate. So it is not complete darkness at night for a stranger on foot.

Thanks for any recommendations on what Model/Sensor you would recommend on this Situation to Help us fight encountered vandalism acts.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You are asking too much of any camera if you want day and night LPR no matter what brand you try. LPR, especially at night, takes very specific settings and the camera will only see the license plates and lights of the vehicles. Everything else will be too dark to see. There is a whole thread on LPR here on IPCT, have a look at it.

A dome camera, lens covered by a plastic dome, is not a good idea. The dome reflects IR light at night, fogs with dust and age, especially if exposed to direct sunlight and actually degrade camera performance a little. Use a turret camera instead. The current "king of the hill" is the Dahua 5442 series. There are bullets and turrets available both in fixed and varifocal lens configurations. Hikvision has a similar series, but I''m not fluent in Hikvision models. Stick to Dahua or Hikvision. Reolink and the rest of the "low cost" brands are pure junk!

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Could you be more specific on what 5442 Model you would recommend? Found short Sample footage on YouTube but IT seems this color night Vision ist due to a constant bright led from the Camera?

I did not find any buying Options or a turret Style with this modell yet. What exactly are the advantages of this newer Model compared to older?

Regarding LPR:
I found some raw footage where one compares various cameras with sony Starvis Sensors at night as he mounts different ones on his dashboard and drives through more or less dark alleys. Even a Test with a slowly directly approaching Car did not seem to blind one bullet camera at all. You could clearly See the license plate. Is this only possible with the featured 2mp Sony Starvis imx290 Sensor? Or could a 2mp Dahua Camera do that too with their Sony Starlight Sensor?

So far i found turret Models from Dahua that offer 8mp and still would feature color nightvision.

We want the Camera to be as invisible as possible at night to capture the next vandalism at our Gate.

So no IR LED's and now bright light from the camera. Which Dahua could do that and perform Well?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use cut and paste so here's the full blurb -

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. It is a little out of date in terms of camera models, things are changing rapidly, but the base information is still very relevant. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

If you want a good, actually good, system at a reasonable price check with Andy at Empire Tech/King Security. He deals with mostly Dahua but also has some Hikvision. Additionally, IPCT sells Hikvision and Amcrest. One more is Nelly's Security, also here on IPCT. You'll find most people here use Blue Iris on a stand alone PC rather than an NVR. WiFi, Reolink and Foscam, just to name a few, are "consumer grade" equipment and, in spite of their advertised claims, poor performers especially at night.

kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

To search this forum for 5442 reviews, use Google with this format (minus the quotation marks) "site:ipcamtalk.com" search terms

There are lots of reviews, complete with full model numbers, of the 5442 series. Example the turret, fixed focal, model Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

If you want color at night you will need light.
One camera for faces, one camera for license plate, one camera for general area coverage. I have three cameras to cover just the front door.
-------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+

IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess