Best Camera(s) Recommendations: 1 PTZ or Mutiple?

Reaction score
I have a situation where there is a large oak tree in the center of multiple locations I'd like to capture on camera. See the attached layout. There is already power and internet located at the tree, so I thought this would be an exelent location to install IP camera(s) . There is not very much light during the night, so that needs to be considered too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen
Camera Layout.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with a PTZ is it will always be looking the wrong way from where the action is.

If you use PTZ cycle/tour it will still be looking the wrong way and you will accelerate the end of the PTZ - folks have seen it hit the cycle limit within 2 years if on constant cycle/tour.

Now if you have multiple fixed cams, you can use them as spotter cams to tell the PTZ where to look, but if you are only looking at one camera, the PTZ will always miss. Someone could get from the barn to the old barn as an example in between cycles.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agreed, multiple cameras will always record what you need to watch, PTZ in patrol mode will not. But if I look at your plan you have some long distance point of view so you may need to check your DORI (Detection, Observation, Recognition, Identification) requirements and may be use some camera with zoom and may need some extra IR Light power.

But question is what do you want to protect ? all 4 constructions ? and what about the back of the guest house ? or is it only some AirBnB and you only want to record what's going on just in case of trouble ?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Mounting in trees can be a little of a challenge sometimes too for a variety of reasons. I have several but generally easier overall to mount on a building in most cases.

You'd have better coverage for what you have there by distributing the cameras around vs trying to do everything from a central location. If it works and you wanted a PTZ at the tree for use as you want too, nothing wrong with that.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A PTZ is a great camera to have, but it's never pointing in the right direction unless there is an operator constantly monitoring it.
More well-positioned fixed cameras will do your scenario better.

In the future it maybe worth exploring a PTZ high in the trees.
PTZs are great to aim in a set direction, then aim in other directions when there is unusual activity.