best bit rate configured ?

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I still have a few questions because I am really new to the world of surveillance cameras, I have two dahua cams that I have configured on 4mp, by default the bit rate was 2048 that I left the to test a few days, I found that the image was good but someone here told me it was too low and to put it at 8192 to have a very good image quality, to tell the truth I have not seen a big differance except that I had lots of false alarms all night that I didn't have before when I was configured at 2048, my goal is to have a good image quality on my monitor and when I watch the alarms also that's why I have mid 30 fps because I wanted no jerk, someone can tell me which config is better in my case thank you again and I hope I explained because traductor French in English ;-) thank you very much to all

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you recording continuously? Bit rate will affect the size of your recording. You can increase the bitrate and maybe see a some improvement if you have the storage space. Also 30 fps is a bit much for many people. I understand the jerking you are referring to but as long as you can identify someone that's the main thing. If you have the cpu power to run 30 that's ok but I think most of us around here run around 15 fps. Are you using NVR or something like Blue Iris?

Reaction score
I wish i could find a guide on what settings to use too. lol
You won't find a guide since every cam and view is different. Setting for one cam that makes it great may not work at all for another cam due to distance, lighting, lens and sensor size, MP count, etc. In the Cliff Notes are some general discussions and there are several threads that talk about certain settings for specific issues, like LPR at night. There are also other threads that cover how to solve issues, like the one below:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My suggestion is to try it at different rates and both in daytime and nighttime and with motion. A static image can look good at a very low bitrate, but have someone walk in view and see if it becomes a pixilated mess.

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok thank you all very much, for the moment I am using my iphone to view the alerts I am expecting my nvr dahua very soon, I will surely record 24/24 7 days, I will write down all your comments and I will do tests thank you all again