Best American made IP camera?

cwilson1996

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there any really good IP camera Manufacturers based out of the United States?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any really good IP camera Manufacturers based out of the United States?
Oh but @mat200 that first listing is not even an IP cam!
A number of companies CLAIM to be NDAA compliant. Yeah, right. Where are most of the chips made again? Buy a good cam and put it on it's own network with no access to the internet. Done...

Edit (in case it's that important to you anyway): link: American Made Security Cameras - A1 Security Cameras
hmmm ..

American branded, is not American made .. and as with most things, chances are many components will be globally sourced, so American assembled is not American made ..

Note from the list Ssayer provide I know Speco Technologies has sold Dahua OEM NVRs and Cameras in the past ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you are installing for a government agency, you will be wasting your money spending more than necessary for an NDAA camera that is usually on inferior sensors and less than ideal MP/sensor ratios...

It is common knowledge that EVERY camera manufacturer firmware has been hacked, including high-end Axis and every NDAA compliant camera.

Even NDAA compliant Verkada was hacked and 150,000 cameras in private companies, along with prisons and public school systems were part of it, which would be government funded..

www.business-standard.com

150,000 security cameras hacked, exposing Tesla, prisons, hospitals
Hackers gained access through a 'Super Admin' account, allowing them to peer into the cameras
www.business-standard.com

It is why we recommend DO NOT LET YOUR CAMERAS OR NVR TOUCH THE INTERNET. You isolate them via VLAN or dual NIC. Do not set the system up with P2P or UPnP or scan some QR code.

I repeat, do not let your cameras touch the internet and you are fine.

In reality, since police departments have partnered with Ring to gain access to Ring video that is cloud based under the name of public safety, there is probably a much more risk of the enemy gaining access to stuff than thru the Dahua and Hikvision products that can be isolated from the internet as Ring will not work without an internet connection....

Or any manufacturer that has cloud based services that require that internet connection or their device doesn't work.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As said, no matter if your cameras are made in America, China, Sweden, Taiwan, Korea, etc, they are subject to a potential cyber attack.
Protect your system by using a firewall on your router.

If you are in the market for an NDAA compliant camera I suggest getting quotes from multiple installation companies.
NDAA compliant cameras, such as Axis & Avigilon, are not sold directly to consumers.

Reaction score
I wanted to chime in on this and get some thoughts from others. I have gone into my router and have blocked services on all ports 1-65535 as well as under my (Netgear) access control, I have blocked the particular device from utilizing the Lan. Everything functions as should within BI or through the cameras web gui but I wonder am I missing anything or should this be "safe" enough to prevent my feeds from being accessed or other malicious doors being kept open from within the camera to the outside world? Is this not equally secure as setting up a vlan for the camera system? Thanks in advance for information.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wanted to chime in on this and get some thoughts from others. I have gone into my router and have blocked services on all ports 1-65535 as well as under my (Netgear) access control, I have blocked the particular device from utilizing the Lan. Everything functions as should within BI or through the cameras web gui but I wonder am I missing anything or should this be "safe" enough to prevent my feeds from being accessed or other malicious doors being kept open from within the camera to the outside world? Is this not equally secure as setting up a vlan for the camera system? Thanks in advance for information.
Are you able to ping to an outside IP address from behind the router? It's often difficult to block outbound traffic - and that is what these cameras tend to do - they call home, establish a state, and bam you're compromised. This is why we totally prevent these devices from speaking or listening to the WAN (or the rest of our networks for the most part).

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I ran a computer with the same networking restrictions (revoked all service ports and blocked network access) as the camera and was not able to ping / access anything internally nor externally.
A few days ago I had the camera attempt doing a firmware update as well as enabled P2P to test restrictions and both timed out so I figured all was good. I'm just attempting to make sure a vlan is not the only choice or determine what else I could be missing. Networking protocols advance way faster then I can can keep up with so it's good for me to get other knowledgeable opinions.