Batch Configuration Tool - What file?

jgkurz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have several Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cams I need to make a change to. The cams are USA version on 5.3. My plan was to use the Hikvision Batch Configuration tool v1.2.1.100 but I can't figure out how to use it, specifically what file to import. I saved a configuration from one of the cameras but when it saves it doesn't save a file extension like .xml or otherwise, just a file name. In my case I called it "settings". I tried to add a file extension to the config file but the Batch Configuration tool still doesn't see the file.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Batch Tool.jpg

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello jgkurz,

The Batch Config tool does NOT work off the same type of files that the Camera exports. You must first use the batch config tool to extract the XML config file from the camera that you want to copy the config from...you do this by finding the 'source' camera in the device list of the config tool (main/upper window) and clicking the little white clipboard which green right arrow in the configuration column. Then either select the individual parameters that you want to export or you can select all. Then save the XML tree in the location of your choice on your hard drive.

Then to push the config to the 'destination' cameras you do the following...check the cameras you want to push the config to and then click the "Batch Configuration" button it should work. You should then reboot the cameras using the 'Reboot' button.

So now that I told you how to use the tool, here's the bad news. The last time Hikvision bothered to give us an updated batch config tool was Nov of 2014. A lot has change since then. The batch config tool will work for MOST settings but v5.3.x has some new stuff that the batch config tool will not change values for...here are a few examples: Anything related to H.264+, Time Zone, Platform Access, Capture Resolution, IR On/Off, ect. You can give it a shot with one Camera and then do a stare and compare to see if anything is left out...If you are only doing a few Cameras tho, it may not be worth your time and you may be better off just exporting and importing from the web interface. We just did a multi-hundred site roll out and had to painfully login to each Camera to import the config properly but it was an H.264+ deployment so we had no choice.

Also, please remember that based on Hikvision security implementation the admin password will not ever be exported (or imported) by either the Camera Export method or the Batch Config Utility. The only mass way to set the admin password on newer firmware Cameras (such as 5.3.x) is to first factory default the Cameras, then use SADP to activate the camera with your Admin password of choosing and then set the configs using the batch config tool (and if you need config values that were not in existence before Nov 2014 then you are out of luck).

Incidentally, the "Restore" button in the Nov 2014 version of the Batch Config only does a restore but leaves the Admin password the same and the device still Activated. Basically Hikvision's English Language Batch Config version is severely lacking. To do a mass password change or factory reset across you are going to be relying on a 3rd party script for which most scripts I have seen will not work for password changing thanks to new Hikvision security that does not let one to use a paste function when setting the new password in the web interface.

Lastly, I am aware of a Chinese version of the tool that I actually saw once either in China at a large integrator that is much more up to date but unless you can really read Chinese it is not much help as the buttons and such had been changed up a bit. I also can't get anyone to send it to me either.

Good luck.

jgkurz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello jgkurz,

The Batch Config tool does NOT work off the same type of files that the Camera exports. You must first use the batch config tool to extract the XML config file from the camera that you want to copy the config from...you do this by finding the 'source' camera in the device list of the config tool (main/upper window) and clicking the little white clipboard which green right arrow in the configuration column. Then either select the individual parameters that you want to export or you can select all. Then save the XML tree in the location of your choice on your hard drive.

Then to push the config to the 'destination' cameras you do the following...check the cameras you want to push the config to and then click the "Batch Configuration" button it should work. You should then reboot the cameras using the 'Reboot' button.

So now that I told you how to use the tool, here's the bad news. The last time Hikvision bothered to give us an updated batch config tool was Nov of 2014. A lot has change since then. The batch config tool will work for MOST settings but v5.3.x has some new stuff that the batch config tool will not change values for...here are a few examples: Anything related to H.264+, Time Zone, Platform Access, Capture Resolution, IR On/Off, ect. You can give it a shot with one Camera and then do a stare and compare to see if anything is left out...If you are only doing a few Cameras tho, it may not be worth your time and you may be better off just exporting and importing from the web interface. We just did a multi-hundred site roll out and had to painfully login to each Camera to import the config properly but it was an H.264+ deployment so we had no choice.

Also, please remember that based on Hikvision security implementation the admin password will not ever be exported (or imported) by either the Camera Export method or the Batch Config Utility. The only mass way to set the admin password on newer firmware Cameras (such as 5.3.x) is to first factory default the Cameras, then use SADP to activate the camera with your Admin password of choosing and then set the configs using the batch config tool (and if you need config values that were not in existence before Nov 2014 then you are out of luck).

Incidentally, the "Restore" button in the Nov 2014 version of the Batch Config only does a restore but leaves the Admin password the same and the device still Activated. Basically Hikvision's English Language Batch Config version is severely lacking. To do a mass password change or factory reset across you are going to be relying on a 3rd party script for which most scripts I have seen will not work for password changing thanks to new Hikvision security that does not let one to use a paste function when setting the new password in the web interface.

Lastly, I am aware of a Chinese version of the tool that I actually saw once either in China at a large integrator that is much more up to date but unless you can really read Chinese it is not much help as the buttons and such had been changed up a bit. I also can't get anyone to send it to me either.

Good luck.
Thank you for the very detailed post! I will take your advice and try it again.

jgkurz

n3wb
Reaction score
I batch changed video settings on all cameras. That specific setting worked fine on 5.3. Thanks again.