Basic web application to view snapshot and automatic weather overlay

Spirch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not sure if this is a proper place to post that or if it's allowed, just delete or move to the proper place if it's not.

I made myself a basic web application using .net6 that run on linux/windows (cannot confirm if it work on mac but it should...) it doesn't use a lot of ram, mine is currently using about 50 megs of ram for 4 cameras

I will not provide any binary you will have to compile it yourself and the source code is public and available so you can review it before running it GitHub - Spirch/BasicIpCameraSnapshot: Basic web application that request pictures from ip cameras and return a grid view of them

I'm sharing this because of why not? if it is useful for someone else that is great.

Starting it will run a web server where you can view snapshot of live cameras in a grid system and you can click on individual snapshot to see full resolution (there is a cache of 2.5sec but you can change it with the configuration, just look at the appsettings.json for all the possible config) and if enabled (it is by default) it can update overlay line with weather data (or anything you want if you play with the code), I have two example, one using xml from Environment Canada and the other one using json from The Weather Network, you can adapt it to your preferred one.

Make sure to look at the configuration file before running it!

I only tested with hikvision (DS-2CD2155FWD-I, DS-2CD2087G2-LU and DS-2DE4A404IW-DE) but it should work with any?

for snapshot, the user only need live view access
for overlay, the user need configuration access

For the overlay, you will need to play with the code if it's not working since the xml used to send "command" to the camera api is hardcoded

This is what it look like for me

github-camera.jpg