Backing up Clips

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had my clips written as .BVR directly to a USB 3 external drive on my network. The drive is hooked up to my router , both safely in the attic away from thieves. The logic being, that if my computer downstairs, which is running Blue Iris , was stolen I would still have the footage in the attic. All was going fine then the footage became very choppy and playback was useless. The only change I can see was from BI updates. So anyhow I changed the clip storage path to the local hard drive which is running BI and now the clips are playing back the way they should.
My question is how can I write these clips to the USB drive also. And not by a scheduled backup but immediately after the writing begins on my local drive.
I see that in Camera Properties/record tab/ there is a tickable box " Queue new clips for backup" - What does that mean? I can't find anything in Help. Also if there is a way to do it, converting to MP4 for the copies would be good.

Top of the season All.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had my clips written as .BVR directly to a USB 3 external drive on my network. The drive is hooked up to my router , both safely in the attic away from thieves. The logic being, that if my computer downstairs, which is running Blue Iris , was stolen I would still have the footage in the attic. All was going fine then the footage became very choppy and playback was useless. The only change I can see was from BI updates. So anyhow I changed the clip storage path to the local hard drive which is running BI and now the clips are playing back the way they should.
My question is how can I write these clips to the USB drive also. And not by a scheduled backup but immediately after the writing begins on my local drive.
I see that in Camera Properties/record tab/ there is a tickable box " Queue new clips for backup" - What does that mean? I can't find anything in Help. Also if there is a way to do it, converting to MP4 for the copies would be good.

Top of the season All.
You can setup a cloned camera and record to both locations simultaneously.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you would still have choppy playback in the attic storage, so unless your BI machine is secured, you still have the original problem of a thief taking the computer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you would still have choppy playback in the attic storage, so unless your BI machine is secured, you still have the original problem of a thief taking the computer.
That could simply be a result of the throughput for playback...op needs to figure out why its choppy...likely the router...

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is it possible for you to temporarily move the router next to the computer? And how is the computer connected? Wired or wireless?

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's all network wired. The router has a USB 3 port where a portable USB 3 drive is connected. Then hard wired downstairs 13 ft. to the computer. The throughput should be fine. And it was all fine for a month or so.

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just thinking if I come home and my place is tossed(again) and the computer is gone , I could dump the video from the USB drive onto a tablet and play back with VLC. I can see the advantage of having the proprietary BVR format so the open files can be played in BI but after they are archived it would be great if there was a mini BI portable player or a means of converting to another codec.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
easiest thing to replace/test is the router. Otherwise, do you have a Windows laptop? Turn on sharing, then try storing over the network to that. If that works, then BI is working. To me, there's going to be some solution for you that's not too expensive. And since you've had your place tossed previously, it's worth it (maybe a small NAS box in the attic).

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok this is too strange. I hooked up my laptop to the LAN. In windows Explorer I can access the Laptop just fine. When I start/bootup BI, Explorer can no longer see the laptop in the Network. I get the following Error
error.jpg
I run diagnostics from this window and get:

results.jpg

When I close BI, I immediately have access to the laptop again. No rebooting or anything. I have tried this several times. ????

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Solved! The Portable USB 3 Drive was not compatible with the Netgear R7000 router. By sheer accident I found a compatibility list of USB3 drives. Mine wasn't on it. Replacing with one on the list gives me smooth playback so far. Terrible support from Netgear. The R7000 has amazing wifi reach though.

As far as why another network machine would disappear when starting BI , that is still a mystery. It did stop doing that, when the folder I was trying to save to had it's permissions changed to Full access. Thanks to those who helped with their ideas.