Back light wash out corrective options

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This example is from a crappy Foscam but it suits my question.
My living room here is south facing so duirng the day I get a lot of light which then washes out the exposure on cameras I guess resulting in a view of a very dark room..It is much worse than this image mid afternoon.

What cameras or I guess more important, what features and settings should I be looking for in a camera that would help reduce or eliminate this so I could see the whole picture clearer and brighter, especially with the movement of an intruder?

I've read about settings called WDR or "True DNR \ WDR" or "Dynamic WDR" I think on some cameras that have manufacturer supposed example images that just appear to be fake where they show a very dark room and bright street then a very bright clear room with their special WDR turned on...Is that real?

Can anyone explain what settings will really help, (like the WDR) and what they are and what they can really do vs the fake mfg examples?
Any example pics would help too.

2016-7-1-13-31-13.jpg

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) and/or BLC (Back Light Compensation) are the settings you are looking for.
most decent cams these days will have settings for these to enable and tweak, including Foscam.

Another option is to move the camera to a location where that sort of lighting is less of an issue...

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try this link, I stumbled across it last week and found it pretty informative. Like most things, the settings are relative to your specific cameras and environment so you'll prob have to tinker with settings to get satisfactory results but this could give you a baseline of where to start.