B5442E-Z4E - First Thoughts After Test

Reaction score
So this evening I finally got around to setting up a test rig with my new B5442E-Z4E that I bought from @EMPIRETECANDY and received in less than two days shipped from Hong Kong. Thank you Andy. I am impressed with this cam.

A little background on the job this cam is to do. I live on a T-intersection corner. I am about to install two LPR cams (HFW5241E-Z12E). The coverage will be such that the only vehicles I can't get plates on (provided they have plates) are ones that do not have a front plate and take the turn into the base of the 'T'. But with a recent incident where a guy stole my neighbor's tailgate from his pickup right in his driveway, I had no good footage to give him that said more than "possibly a blue RAM pickup with no front plate". And since it was at night, even if I had the LPR cams up and running, I would not get any description of the truck. And if he had no plates, then we got nada. I felt really bad that I could not help him.

So I got to thinking about what cam would be good to serve as a cam that would get vehicle color, make, model, damage, stickers, etc. even after dark. I tested an old 5231 varifocal turret that I just retired with a T5442 in 6mm. I was not happy with the footage at full zoom.

C-TEST.20200706_204629_5.jpg

I also set up a T5442 in 2.8mm that has yet to be installed. While the FOV was not appropriate, the night color was great.

PFD.20200706_191855.8230403.3.jpg

So I thought why not get the B5442E-Z4E? The color should be good at night and it has more zoom.

It is 65-70 feet from the cam to the intersection. I can't get over how well this cam performs, especially after dark. Here are a bunch of test shots at different focal lengths in different lighting conditions. I did mess with some of the exposure settings trying to dial it in, but these are by no means the final and best it can do. I will wait until it is actually installed to do the final dial in of the settings. The equivalent fixed lens value is listed on the bottom of each photo, along with the time of day.

These two are at 18mm equivalent. I can't get over the clarity of the plate. It is 7:30pm and the sun is down behind the house. All of these shots are looking East. You can even get a fairly decent face shot of the person driving the Honda.

INTS.20200719_193110041_1.jpgINTS.20200719_193358952_1.jpg

This one is at 27mm. No problem getting the plate. Guy barley slowed down to make the turn, not stopping for the stop sign.

INTS.20200719_194053996_1.jpg

These next two are at 32mm, full zoom. Even get a paper plate ID. But 32mm is too close. Not enough view to get cars going down the top part of the 'T'.

INTS.20200719_200043674_1.jpgINTS.20200719_200626274_1.jpg

Now it is getting dark. I dialed back to 28mm. I can get color, make , and type but plates are not readable on this car.

INTS.20200719_204449269_1.jpg

It is dark now. But the ice cream truck that is going very slowly and making the turn has a good plate cap. All of the cars headed out of the 'T' do great. There is a street light next to the stop sign. Plus most of them slow down to take the turn at the stop sign. None of them actually stopped.

INTS.20200719_204723169_1.jpgINTS.20200719_205238575_1.jpgINTS.20200719_210707841_1.jpgINTS.20200719_210759091_1.jpgINTS.20200719_212123875_1.jpg

So the blue (?) Camaro rag top was going too fast to get much. Hope I can do better once everything is installed. The red golf cart does not have a plate.

INTS.20200719_212428084_1.jpgINTS.20200719_213300811_1.jpg

So what about people? We had some door checkers go by this corner a few weeks ago and my high mounted overview cam caught them and got somewhat of a description of clothing, but is too wide a FOV for faces. Well here I caught an undesirable walking along the street. I know this guy. Great face shot.

INTS.20200719_220425245_1.jpg

Well, to summarize, I was surprised at how well the plate cap were for most of the shots. As far as getting color, make, type, stickers, damage, etc, I think this will be really good for that. It can also augment the LPR cams when they are installed. I was also happy with the face shot at night. This will be a real plus.

A little info on the settings. I started out with all defaults in the first few shots. The color and exposure was fine. As the light began to fade, I was getting motion blur so I set the shutter to 1/2000 and boosted the Iris to 62. As the street lights came on, I was getting 60Hz flicker. So I switched to 60Hz/manual/ 1/120. Did mess around a little with brightness, contrast, saturation, and sharpness. Running full resolution at 20FPs with same I Frame. Bit rate type is CBR customized rate set at 16384 Kb/s. H.264H.

Well I hope you found this interesting, and not too long of a post. It will be a while before I can run the ethernet to the location. Unfortunately, life gets in the way of my hobbies. Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

I hope this helps n3bs with the concept of making a plan, defining the job of the cam, testing it out with different options, and realizing that plans evolve over time. I have been doing this for almost 2 years now. This cam position was not in the plan until a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
You may need more than one camera and installed in different locations. I live on a 4 way intersection and I find that I need 4 cameras to get the job done. I can get the front and rear of any vehicle. In one case the plates were so bad that it took the last of 4 tries(2 front shots and 2 rear shots) to get the plate. I had to go frame by frame on the last camera shot just to do that and the changing light angle to expose the letters and numbers one by one.

Last edited:

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So this evening I finally got around to setting up a test rig with my new B5442E-Z4E that I bought from @EMPIRETECANDY and received in less than two days shipped from Hong Kong. Thank you Andy. I am impressed with this cam.

A little background on the job this cam is to do. I live on a T-intersection corner. I am about to install two LPR cams (HFW5241E-Z12E). The coverage will be such that the only vehicles I can't get plates on (provided they have plates) are ones that do not have a front plate and take the turn into the base of the 'T'. But with a recent incident where a guy stole my neighbor's tailgate from his pickup right in his driveway, I had no good footage to give him that said more than "possibly a blue RAM pickup with no front plate". And since it was at night, even if I had the LPR cams up and running, I would not get any description of the truck. And if he had no plates, then we got nada. I felt really bad that I could not help him.

So I got to thinking about what cam would be good to serve as a cam that would get vehicle color, make, model, damage, stickers, etc. even after dark. I tested an old 5231 varifocal turret that I just retired with a T5442 in 6mm. I was not happy with the footage at full zoom.

View attachment 66715

I also set up a T5442 in 2.8mm that has yet to be installed. While the FOV was not appropriate, the night color was great.

View attachment 66716

So I thought why not get the T5442E-Z4E? The color should be good at night and it has more zoom.

It is 65-70 feet from the cam to the intersection. I can't get over how well this cam performs, especially after dark. Here are a bunch of test shots at different focal lengths in different lighting conditions. I did mess with some of the exposure settings trying to dial it in, but these are by no means the final and best it can do. I will wait until it is actually installed to do the final dial in of the settings. The equivalent fixed lens value is listed on the bottom of each photo, along with the time of day.

These two are at 18mm equivalent. I can't get over the clarity of the plate. It is 7:30pm and the sun is down behind the house. All of these shots are looking East. You can even get a fairly decent face shot of the person driving the Honda.

View attachment 66701View attachment 66702

This one is at 27mm. No problem getting the plate. Guy barley slowed down to make the turn, not stopping for the stop sign.

View attachment 66703

These next two are at 32mm, full zoom. Even get a paper plate ID. But 32mm is too close. Not enough view to get cars going down the top part of the 'T'.

View attachment 66704View attachment 66705

Now it is getting dark. I dialed back to 28mm. I can get color, make , and type but plates are not readable on this car.

View attachment 66706

It is dark now. But the ice cream truck that is going very slowly and making the turn has a good plate cap. All of the cars headed out of the 'T' do great. There is a street light next to the stop sign. Plus most of them slow down to take the turn at the stop sign. None of them actually stopped.

View attachment 66707View attachment 66708View attachment 66709View attachment 66710View attachment 66711

So the blue (?) Camaro rag top was going too fast to get much. Hope I can do better once everything is installed. The red golf cart does not have a plate.

View attachment 66712View attachment 66713

So what about people? We had some door checkers go by this corner a few weeks ago and my high mounted overview cam caught them and got somewhat of a description of clothing, but is too wide a FOV for faces. Well here I caught an undesirable walking along the street. I know this guy. Great face shot.

View attachment 66714

Well, to summarize, I was surprised at how well the plate cap were for most of the shots. As far as getting color, make, type, stickers, damage, etc, I think this will be really good for that. It can also augment the LPR cams when they are installed. I was also happy with the face shot at night. This will be a real plus.

A little info on the settings. I started out with all defaults in the first few shots. The color and exposure was fine. As the light began to fade, I was getting motion blur so I set the shutter to 1/2000 and boosted the Iris to 62. As the street lights came on, I was getting 60Hz flicker. So I switched to 60Hz/manual/ 1/120. Did mess around a little with brightness, contrast, saturation, and sharpness. Running full resolution at 20FPs with same I Frame. Bit rate type is CBR customized rate set at 16384 Kb/s. H.264H.

Well I hope you found this interesting, and not too long of a post. It will be a while before I can run the ethernet to the location. Unfortunately, life gets in the way of my hobbies. Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

I hope this helps n3bs with the concept of making a plan, defining the job of the cam, testing it out with different options, and realizing that plans evolve over time. I have been doing this for almost 2 years now. This cam position was not in the plan until a few weeks ago.
So can anyone say has thev4MP camera improved enough during the night to make it a better buy vs a 2mp Starlight?

I am in the market for a new camera as I have a secret bin filler, he must park stationary to do this so I want great facial recognition during daytime but also best night shot. Area is partial very dimly lit street.

Reaction score
So can anyone say has thev4MP camera improved enough during the night to make it a better buy vs a 2mp Starlight?
So if you see the very first photo on my post, that is from the old top dog from 2018-19. It was the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, which is a 1/2.8" 2MP varifocal Starlight STARVIS CMOS cam. The night color is not that great in the location I was using since the existing light is not that good. Compare that to any of the B5442 shots. Big difference. The amount of existing light will make a difference in how well any camera performs in color at night. The 5442 has a much bigger sensor (1/1.8") than the older Starlight cams. While I did not run this in B&W with IR, as I am only interested in color for this position, others have shown great IR performance as well.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies @samplenhold & @bigredfish, not knowing the perfect setup, I am thinking about testing one in a couple of locations.

Is there a verifocal turret from Dahua with this new 1/1.8" sensor? Enabling me to zoom in and out remotely to get the perfect setup with differing zoom lengths?

Could you help me understand this 2.8mm & 6mm option, is this chosen at the time of purchase, I gather this will depend on the distance I wish to capture an image from?

Reaction score
Is there a verifocal turret from Dahua with this new 1/1.8" sensor?
Yes. It is the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE, also known as IPC-T5442T-ZE.

And the latest testing review: Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing

The 5442 series comes in both a fixed lens and a varifocal lens version. The fixed lens versions come with either a 2.8mm, 3.6mm, or a 6mm fixed size lens. The varifocal version has an adjustable lens that is 2.7mm through 12mm.

So the reason to select a fixed lens version is that they are cheaper and have a little bigger aperture than the varifocal version. The reason to select the varifocal is that you can adjust your FOV as needed and well beyond the 6mm max fixed lens option.

Yes, you would need to decide which lens you want at time of purchase. That is why most folks recommend getting a varifocal cam to test with in different positions to see what fixed lens versions would work for them.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Any idea if a 64mm version is in the works?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a B5442E-Z12E on the way? @EMPIRETECANDY
Sadly wishful thinking. But we can hope!

But the new 5241-Z12E-S2 is no slouch either.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sadly wishful thinking. But we can hope!

But the new 5241-Z12E-S2 is no slouch either.

I read your review a few minutes ago.

I've already got a 5241 Z12 and don't think the S3 it would be much of an upgrade.

Most of all i'd love a Z12 version of the 4K Color X (IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED) but i know i'm pushing it :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read your review a few minutes ago.

I've already got a 5241 Z12 and don't think the S3 it would be much of an upgrade.

Most of all i'd love a Z12 version of the 4K Color X (IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED) but i know i'm pushing it :)
At this point, most of us would simply love any varifocal of the 4K on the 1/1.2" sensor!

Maybe one of these days!