Auto IR -- I'm flummoxed.

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On my first foray with a Hikvision camera, I am flummoxed. It would appear that the camera can turn on and off the IR/night vision. But the only way I can get the night vision is to manually set day/night switch back and forth. Auto stays in day mode. What am I missing? BTW, I have also turned on and off the smart ir switch, but it seems to have no effect.

Attachments

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
For auto switching, you should have it set to auto in both places (up top is only auto or scheduled switch) and fiddle with the sensitivity (2 in my picture) as to how dark it has to be when it switches. If you've got too much light shining on the camera or in the scene, it's possible it WON'T switch to night mode. You could also do like I do- run it on a schedule. That way you can set different maximum exposure settings for day and night to help you freeze motion better. 1/30th is often useless at night if a subject never stops walking so if you've got decent lighting 1/60th or 1/120th can provide a much better picture unless they stop and say cheese. You'll just have to decide if the added graininess removes the chances of a better picture if they do stop moving and that'll depend on your lighting and how good your particular camera is at night. If your scene includes quickly moving cars, you can get crisp shots on even cloudy days if you bump up the daytime max exposure to maybe 1/500th. Most firmware seems to be too lazy even in the daytime when speeding up the exposure and just leaves it slower than needed.

There's also a separately located setting to turn off your IR regardless of Day/Night settings and that's in the Advanced Configuration/System/Service section.
HikAutoSwitch.png
HikScheduleNightSettings.png

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks so much. Working through all of your suggestions.