Australian forum members, which brand NVR do you use?

Janastas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi members,

I've already posted in the Hikvision sub forum asking about possible IP camera's I should look at then thought it might be a better idea to ask what the Australian forum members are using regarding NVR brands and why?

I want to move from an analog Zmodo 8ch setup running over coax to an NVR with IP camera's but not sure which brand or camera's to look into.

Would love some feedback from the Australian forum members behind their purchasing reasons and why

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bought Hikvision 7604 non poe as I wanted to be able to put the nvr out of site, I have an I5 pc but it is a bit too old for Blue Iris, I currently run 4 cameras off this system and am very happy, BUT if I was to start again, I would 100% get a decent spec pc and buy Blue Iris.
Reasons:
1. Hikvision do not play well with updates, even one bought here in WA from an approved supplier had issues with the latest firmware.
2. The 'parameters' of things like motion detection, line crossing all sound great, but I have found them near impossible to fine tune/tweak to avoid the usual moths, sun bursts and foliage movement.
3. Blue Iris is a solid platform and for the tech minded like me, very powerful and configurable.

Alternate:
If you buy from the likes of fleebay or alibuba you have to be prepared for potential issues like the firmware updates, similar if you source the cameras, but the saving is huge, well it is for me in WA over the shop up the road.

I am fortunate in that I got involved for my technical hobby and pleasure, so if the whole lot goes tits up then I would not be too bothered, and the technical skills and updates that have come across my path have enhanced my knowledge immensely, I also get to take this piss out of the occasional dipshit that comes around ... :) win win

I have done a little with Dahua setups and they appear OK, but nothing in depth.

Hope this helps

Janastas

n3wb
Reaction score
So after speaking to a few forum members I opted to get a dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 along with a starlight varifocal turrent to see how the one camera goes.

Thanks to Andy at Empiretech for helping me out.

If this all goes well with the one camera I'll opt to buy some more and replace each analog in the house as time permits.