Attempted highway robbery - CIT Driver is one cool operator

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Having watched this video easily a dozen times there are countless things that race through my head:

• Awareness: The driver shows 110% situational awareness of his surroundings and environment and the people around him.
  • Attitude: The driver remains calm, cool, and collected at all times and takes control of the situation. He knows when to Fight or Flight and you'll see this in the end.
  • Professional: The driver is a retired police officer which shows his years of hands on experience. His ability to take control of the chaos and instruct his partner what to do is clearly seen.

Some of the things which amazed me is how impressive this Toyota Landcruiser was armored this was not a soft target vehicle. Based on the photo's and video this transport vehicle was at least (Level 3) armored. What kind of surprised me (not really) is the young lad sitting there with no common sense to figure out what to do! :facepalm: It's very clear that if the passenger was driving this vehicle alone he would have easily been killed because of his lack of common sense and ability to react and operate under stress & fire.

Every movement and step taken by the passenger is only done because the driver tells him what to do! :banghead:

I mean if the driver told him take a shit he probably would have! :rofl:

These are the guys you kick out the door and leave for dead because they are going to drag you down and get you killed. Now, the driver is easily the guy you want on your team when the shit hits the fan and there's a fire fight! I'll never understand how it is people like the (passenger) get through life coasting on the tails of others.

Watch this imbecil offering absolutely no help in determining where the threat is, see how he handles his side arm, watching this clown make an emergency phone call . . . :wtf:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I was surprised at how long it took them to radio (what I figured they would have) or call (what they ended up having to do) for help. Obviously the driver was a little busy, but the passenger should have been on it first thing. I guess he was frozen with fear however and only reacted when the driver gives him clear directions.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I was surprised at how long it took them to radio (what I figured they would have) or call (what they ended up having to do) for help. Obviously the driver was a little busy, but the passenger should have been on it first thing. I guess he was frozen with fear however and only reacted when the driver gives him clear directions.
At some point you just wake the fuck up and the moral imperative to live just has to kick in! :facepalm: Watching him pull out his side arm and let it drop to the floor and than fumble around with it later was just maddening to watch. Only to watch him wait for his leader tell him to grab the rifle and he still can't hold on to it properly. The whole time he's not looking at any mirrors or out the windows to help the driver out?!?

Just this empty deer in the head lights look of stupid . . . :facepalm:

Worse he's a JAFO . . . :sleepy:

There's absolutely nothing up stairs with that guy except a bag of rocks. :lmao:

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree that the driver did an excellent job, and is obviously experienced at handling an attack of the that nature. However, I don't understand all the negative responses about the passenger. He appeared nervous of course, but he didn't freak out and was able to maintained his composure. And, the passenger was wise enough to follow the lead of the more experienced driver.

Maybe Hollywood would have presented us with some over the top theatrics from the passenger, but this was a real life or death situation that many of us probably wouldn't have handled as well.

Based on who won the battle, I'll bet the thieves are more scared to attempt another robbery than either the driver or passenger are to do another cash haul.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Maintain his composure???? He was frozen with fear, just look at his eyes, blank expression and fixated stare! He had absolutely no presence of mind or grasp of what to do to protect himself or the driver. The only thing he had going for him was the ballistic vest he had on and that was put on before he even got into the van.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maintain his composure???? He was frozen with fear, just look at his eyes, blank expression and fixated stare! He had absolutely no presence of mind or grasp of what to do to protect himself or the driver. The only thing he had going for him was the ballistic vest he had on and that was put on before he even got into the van.
Well, we disagree. I see it differently and I'm OK with that.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you ever been in a similar situation? I have and I wouldn't want that guy to be my partner or backup.
No, I have not been in a similar situation, and it's not something on my bucket list.

I'll take your word on your experience. I'm also OK with you not wanting that guy. That's your choice. However, as I said earlier, I still see it differently than you and I'm OK with that too.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree that the driver did an excellent job, and is obviously experienced at handling an attack of the that nature. However, I don't understand all the negative responses about the passenger. He appeared nervous of course, but he didn't freak out and was able to maintained his composure. And, the passenger was wise enough to follow the lead of the more experienced driver.

Maybe Hollywood would have presented us with some over the top theatrics from the passenger, but this was a real life or death situation that many of us probably wouldn't have handled as well.

Based on who won the battle, I'll bet the thieves are more scared to attempt another robbery than either the driver or passenger are to do another cash haul.
While I agree the vast majority of people will never experience such an event in their lifetime. To put into context of who, what, and where this event took place.

This took place in (SA) South Africa a country that is rife with broad daylight murders & robberies. All of the CIT team members go through extensive training and procedures as to how to react to such events.

This spans from fire arms training, evasive maneuvers, hand to hand combat, etc. The first thing anyone is taught regardless of the profession is having situational awareness at all times.

This fellow completely failed in this most basic level.

Not once do you see this guy swivel his head and look at the mirrors or windows to help the leader determine the ongoing threat level of where, how many, and reactive defensive.

The only reason you see his head moving is because the vehicle is bouncing along at high exit speed.

If you listen carefully this vehicle was hit with no less than ten rounds of high caliber rifle fire. Watching the video and hearing a dull splat / thud almost sounded like a sci-fi cartoon which didn’t sound real!

Even at the end where the leader hops out to end this madness. You have Joe Stupid just sitting there like a bag of dumb rocks?!?

You don’t think it’s a good idea to help cover the guy who literally just saved your bacon?!?

I mean that’s just a whole level of selfish and stupid all rolled up in one! Ultimately this guy (passenger) doesn’t get a pass as he freely took the job. Knows the real world threats for taking said job. Was trained and exposed to the what if’s. Yet when it came down to even offering a smatter of help in any small way.

Ultimate Fail . . .

Guess this is why the phrase The meek shall inherit the Earth

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would wager that the sidekick was not paying attention in class, or the instructor sucked.
In any event, it was obvious he had not practiced what ever he was taught.
He honestly acted like they simply handed him a handgun, helped him put on his vest, and told him there you go, your trained, now get in the truck, and had no real idea what he was in for.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welkom to South Africa.... This driver is what you call the anchor of the team and the passenger is an affirmative action appointment.. gotta balance the workforce, and oh yes, lets just put anyone behind a R1. Rifle full loaded with really no situational awareness.... go figure....

btw.. events like this is a daily occurrence... 1 of 4 major crimes in South Africa excluding murder

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
To be fair none of us including myself knows how long this lad has been in service. Everyone reacts to things differently as @Keyboard noted he at least didn't start flaying his arms or start screaming! :facepalm: All of us have different life experiences and that has made us who we are today whether it be for better or worse. I suppose my life experiences are drastically different than what this lad has seen.

Given he lives in a nation where daily crimes such as this occur at neck break speed its hard for me to understand the lack of action. :wtf:

Anyone who has ever had a high caliber rifle round zip past their head knows that feeling of utter terror. Once you experience this the will to survive just kicks in and you pull up your boot straps and get moving. Those of you who have endured a IED and walked away know that is absolutely a next level event that is hard to grasp and collect yourself from. After you clean your shorts of that really long brown stain in your briefs.

You do a physical check to make sure you're not hit and bleeding out from some random orfice. You check your buddies to make sure its the same from them and if not you render first aid ASAP - Plug that hole.

All I know is seeing donkeys, woman, children, strapped with bombs and summarily going boom makes you keep your head on a swivel all the time. In Iraq you see children holding AK47's like its a lunch box and just itching to squeeze one off. :wtf: In Somalia the armpit of a shit nation you see tens of thousands of children all amped up and ready to for war.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welkom to South Africa.... This driver is what you call the anchor of the team and the passenger is an affirmative action appointment.. gotta balance the workforce, and oh yes, lets just put anyone behind a R1. Rifle full loaded with really no situational awareness.... go figure....

btw.. events like this is a daily occurrence... 1 of 4 major crimes in South Africa excluding murder
WOW! This threat is devolving very quickly.