Attempted BI crash diagnosis

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My BI crashed this morning. It's version 5.8.5.3 which I assume is a stable version because that's what I got from the download link on the BI site a few weeks ago.
Windows says it was a blueiris.exe APPCRASH, faulting module name mfc140u.dll.
Now I get into all sorts of information that I don't understand and/or windows 10 is reporting it wrong.

Before the crash, the windows system log had multiple reports "Low virtual memory condition", with BI using 43 GB and Yolov5Net.exe using 2.3 GB.
The page file size is 5.5 GB.
With BI up and running again, Resource Monitor says BI is using 3.3 GB of the 16 GB main memory.
Performance Monitor says BI is using 3.3 GB Private Bytes, which is consistent.
It says that BI is using 9.7 GB of Virtual Bytes, which is crazy.
There are occasional large memory Hard Faults, which I believe is activity into the page file.

Why is there page file accesses at all when 11 GB of main memory is not being used?

My main goal is to do something to stop BI from crashing, with this info from windows I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know what caused your crash (maybe some sort of memory leak) but do want to point out that you cannot assume it is a stable release. I am pretty sure the main download file is updated with the latest release not the latest stable release.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Then how does one know which are the stable releases? I looked for a list without success.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I did some monitoring of the virtual memory page faults and at first glance it looks like BI is not responsible for any of them. The biggest culprit is the win 10 antivirus/malware scanning that runs automatically. When it runs, the page faults fly. After shutting that off, the next biggest driver of page faults is the windows update mechanism. Even with updates disabled, some scheduler and helper processes run periodically. Their page fault count is very low compared to the virus scanner and I'm not going to worry about them. And just before I posted this a cortana process generated a bunch of page faults even though I disabled it in group policy.