Assistance with picking new 8mp cameras - BI

Tro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Seeking advise on cameras to use with Blue Iris

Currently using BI with 5 X 2mp outdoor Bullet cameras, looking at the 8mp on AliExpress and alike (2-4 pending price and benefit etc)

I am still getting my head around parameters of the hardware and what it means! So if I type something that does make sense it probably from a lack of understanding.

The 8mp with 4m or 6mm lens gives a very wide angle and not great quality from distance (looking at calculator.ipvm.com)

When I find a camera with a vari-lens, I see 10mm or 12mm giving a similar angle as my current 2mp and good quality at distance… can also adjust to suit

Bunch of questions:

What/where should I be looking at for best price/quality? – can you get fixed 10/12mm lens? – can you buy the lens to swap out fi you need more/less angle? – is this easy to do?

Looking at H.265 capable also (Will BI do this regardless??)

I understand that the night vision might not be as good (well I read that but don’t understand if I am being completely honest!) – I can install some security lights if that will assist?

Can anyone point me towards some good cameras, prefer POE but if not that’s OK to

Looking at the below as examples – I am also in Australia

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Long-IR-Distance-H-265-ONVIF-8MP-4K-POE-Network-IP-CCTV-Outdoor-Bullet-Waterproof-Security/33013164623.html

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bxRYvhqY

Appreciate any advice!

Tro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2085 is a poor choice because of the small sensor and the specific bullet format that has an IR ring around the sensor.
The second is a no name camera that you should avoid.
See the threads on the large sensor 4k dahua and hikvision cameras as well as the dahua 4mp large sensor cams. They are discussed at length.

Blue iris cannot currently use intel Hardware acceleration with h.265 only nvidia which is expensive and a powerhog.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Security lights can be a hassle. When they come on at night, unless you’ve setup your cameras to stay in B/W mode, you’ll usually lose a bit of video because the extra light will make the camera want to switch to color mode (and video quality usually drops a lot during the switch).

If you want the least expensive cameras that do well at night, check out the 2MP Dahua Starlight and Hikvision Dark Fighter models. Dahua just released some 4MP Starlights that look like they might do as well (or better) than the 2MP models. Nothing with higher MP (that’s affordable) does as well.

The special image sensors that make these low-light cameras work are pretty much only found in pro-grade cameras. I haven’t seen these sensors in the cheap no-name models found on AliExpress.

Tro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Good to see your still around Fenderman! your advise was great a few years ago also
Anyone know about the IPC-HFW2831T-ZS,

Now the question is 2 or 4 - (or how much do I upset the boss lady!)
I may also have to upgrade my machine (i5-3470 @3.20GHz with 4gig ram) - CPU gets up to %50 sometimes

Tro