Assistance choosing between 2 Varifocal cams

Steve P

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Long time lurker here and looking for an opinion from the masters between 2 of Andy's cams.

I currently have a mixed collection of new to this, didn't do my research Amcrest and Reolink bullets installed on my soffits and an Amcrest Dome for my front door. I am in the process of upgrading and adding to my system and for one of my existing camera locations, I am trying to decide between the IPC-HFW5241E-ZE bullet and the IPC-T5442T-ZE turret for a specific location. Caveat...this is not an ideal installation location, but since I already have a cable run to a backbox mounted to aluminum barstock on the soffit, I'm going to keep the new camera there. The soffit is 20-ft +/- above grade and the camera is about 35 feet from the driveway gate I want it to focus on.

Here's the current view:
Cam5_-1146000121.jpg

Here's what I am looking at for the bullet:
5241Vari.png

Here's what I am looking at for the turret
5442Vari.png

I like the tighter FOV for the bullet, plus I can get a better ppf starting at the gate but I keep myself open to spider webs. The turret is still high 90s for ppf and then about even 5 feet in from the gate and I wouldn't need to deal with the spiders.

Aside from the obvious long distance and high mounting height, are there any other benefits/concerns that I am missing for either camera?

TIA.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both form factors and neither is particularly prone to spider webs/bugs. The IR LEDs of the bullet are far enough away from the lens, easily as far as they are on the turret. It's just a question of aesthetics and which you might prefer. The turret isn't quite as obtrusive though.

Steve P

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have both form factors and neither is particularly prone to spider webs/bugs. The IR LEDs of the bullet are far enough away from the lens, easily as far as they are on the turret. It's just a question of aesthetics and which you might prefer. The turret isn't quite as obtrusive though.
I went with the bullet. It’s uhhh…a chonky boy. Going to need to add an additional bar stock piece.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went with the bullet. It’s uhhh…a chonky boy. Going to need to add an additional bar stock piece.
If possible I would try to lower the camera with a section of conduit and junction box down the wall some ..