Assistance adding a new Hik camera on my 7604

RCSinCO

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sure this is easy for someone well versed in this stuff but I'm lost. About a year ago I installed a Hikvision 7604 NVR with a Hikvision DS-2CD2232-i5 camera. All is okay and has worked fine. I got a new Hikvision DS-2CD2142 camera and am trying to install it on the NVR and am having problems. My original camera shows up fine with IP address of 192.168.254.2. My other 3 empty camera ports are .3, .4 and .5. The new camera is showing up at the bottom (under the 3 vacant ports) as 169.254.83.171. I tried to edit the IP address as I think that is causing me my problem but it asks for a password (it doesn't show a username) and I tried 12345 but it didn't like that. It identifies the camera properly and shows the firmware of 5.3.2. My problem is getting this new camera registered on of my 3 remaining ports. It just shows it at the bottom and the 3 vacant ports as no camera attached.

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't have it already, install SADP V3.x from here : Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
Assuming your DS-2CD2142 is connected to an NVR PoE port, connect your PC to an unused NVR PoE port.
Start SADP and it will show the cameras and NVR.
If your 2142 is genuinely new, it will show as 'inactive', ie it will need 'activated'. This is done by supplying a new, strong password.
Then, with the password you just used, change the IP address to match what you know is in use on the channel you connected the camera to, something like 192.168.254.3
Set 192.168.254.1 as the camera default gateway.
Re-connect the PC to the LAN, access the NVR web GUI - the camera should show.

RCSinCO

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair,

This is what I did. I connected the camera to my lan port on my laptop and when I went to the 169. IP address the Hikvision logo came up but I could not log in with admin/12345. I also hooked up my laptop to a POE port on the 7604 and ran SADP. I saw the NVR and the new camera. I tried to change the IP address but it would not allow me as it came back "failed to change settings." Although this item looked just like new, had the white box I'm beginning to think it might have been used due to the fact the IP address is not the default coupled with the admin/12345 doesn't work. Any other suggestions? Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the NVR and the new camera. I tried to change the IP address but it would not allow me as it came back "failed to change settings."
OK, so you can see it OK but can't change the settings as, despite being allegedly new, it's not in the 'inactive' state which requires you to 'activate' it with a strong password.
Going back in time to before 'activation' when there were default passwords, these were 12345 (which you've already tried), 123456789abc and some sellers were using 123456789a
If none of those works - as far as I know the 2142 does not have a reset button, so that's out.
So a couple of suggestions:

Ask the seller what they set the password to.

A forum member appears to have the ability to reset cameras where the old reset tool no longer works :Hikvision camera admin password reset tool but not that frequent a visitor.

A tftp firmware update clears the configuration. If the camera has 'stock' firmware, that would be a safe enough procedure, but if it has seller-installed hacked firmware and it's a Chinese region camera it will revert to Chinese menus. Did the product description include a claim it was 'upgradable'? Check if the firmware version on the label matches that shown in SADP. If not - best not to upgrade.
But if you do decide to try the tftp updater, see if the same firmware as is currently installed is here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL

And the tftp updater tool, and instructions (not the firmware), are in the first post here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English

RCSinCO

n3wb
Reaction score
I found out a couple of things. The seller said he got this from a bunch of new closeout equipment but said any issues he would be more than happy to refund my $$$. It came in the white/red box and all appears it is a US version. The serial number of it is
DS-2CD2142FWD-I20150706BBWR5286XXXXX. I did create an XML file and sent it to Hikvision support to see it they can give me a reset code. If not, I was reading the literature and it says it has a reset button. But I haven't opened it yet to verify it. I will wait to hear from Hikvision and if that doesn't work will see if it has a reset button. If that doesn't work I will either attempt to reflash it or just send it back. Thanks for your assistance again.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does your NVR have built in POE ports or are you connecting the cameras through the LAN? If it has POE ports then you can try factory resetting the camera before you return the cameras.
I had a similar issue with a Chinese camera with my NVR, but once I factory reset it, it just popped up using plug-and-play option in the NVR camera configuration.

RCSinCO

n3wb
Reaction score
My NVR is a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1 and my other camera that is working fine is a Hikvisision DS-2CD2232-i5. I would like to believe that everything is US model but possibly not. I plugged it into a POE on my NVR but am not sure I can reset it as the new camera doesn't go into one of the 3 remaining camera slots. It shows it up in yellow and is under the 3 unused camera ports on the NVR. I'm guessing this is because of the IP address starting with 169. So I don't know how to reset it if it isn't in a camera slot viewing the NVR. If I don't hear back from Hikvision I will open the new dome camera and see if there is indeed a reset button. I read to reset it you have to unplug the camera, hold in the reset button then plug it back in. I also read if you disconnect the camera from the NVR then the xml file I sent to Hikvision will be invalid so I will just wait a bit to see if I hear from Hikvision. Thanks for all suggestions.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I don't hear back from Hikvision I will open the new dome camera and see if there is indeed a reset button. I read to reset it you have to unplug the camera, hold in the reset button then plug it back in
That is correct. 30seconds has been suggested to leave after power on - a long time, but safe.
also read if you disconnect the camera from the NVR then the xml file I sent to Hikvision will be invalid so I will just wait a bit to see if I hear from Hikvision
That is also correct.

If you do find a reset button - you are all set.
The camera will end up needing to be 'activated' where you specify your own strong password.
This can conveniently be done with SADP V3.x, if the PC is connected to a spare NVR PoE port.

By the way - on those older, default passwords, trying the letters as upper case is also worth doing.

RCSinCO

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for your assistance. For the record the 2142 has a reset button. So I reset it and it showed up with a 192 default IP address. So I activated it by setting a strong password. So tomorrow I will finish it up hopefully but at least now I have something to work with. Thanks again. I'm also planning on running the app ivms4500 on my new Samsung phone. But one step at a time.

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad to see you found the reset button. Might be a bit redundant now, but in case anyone else is stuck with a similar issue, below is a quick photo of where the reset button is on a DS-2CD2142FWD-I