Assigning cameras to hard drives

Reaction score
I have been setting up my Blue Iris system and following the steps to optimize. I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 sff with an SSD for Windows and Blue Iris. I have installed two WD Purple drives to record video. I currently have six cameras running (with more to add) and I would like to assign three cameras to each drive but I'm not sure how to do do it. I think I saw some info on this here but have not been able to find anything. Any help is appreciated. The knowledge level here blows me away.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's easy to do. Create a Blue Iris directory on each drive. Under that directory create another directory on each drive. For example on one drive drive create a "new" directory under the Blue Iris directory. On the second drive create "aux1" directory under the Blue Iris directory. In the BI configuration page for drives, allocate space to each of those subdirectories. In the camera record tab of each camera just point it to, in this case, "new" or "aux1".

Allocate the space strictly by size, don't use time at all. Blue Iris will handle things very nicely for you that way.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And suggest you split the cameras among the two drives based on their field of view - so don't put all of the backyard cameras on the same drive for example - have coverage split so if one drive goes out, you don't lose all coverage on one side of the house.