Are you happy with iOS Blue Iris mobile app?

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using BI for over 10yrs now and for myself it is far superior to anything else i have used and seen, super customisation with detection, scheduling and push notifications to ios, the mobile app is just as good for me, although not the slickest looking, it just works and i find it easy to navigate, reviewing footage on the app is far easier, quicker and let frustrating than other apps i have seen and if you don't like the live view in BI mobile app you can use other apps.

I have myn setup to alert me when i am out, if anybody comes near my property, i almost instantly (providing good phone service) get a notification and within 2 touches (one if i didn't have privacy on lock screen), i get a 10sec gif to my iphone and can see who's snooping around.

It may all be done by one person but for me that's more one to one, he seems to be focused on BI and not the size of his corporate company, office and wage bills, for the money you'll not get near it, i've used and seen others and i have to admire Ken for what he's done with BI over the years and his loyalty to his customers.

Andy

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've used the Synology Surveillance Station and app. It's like $50 per camera. My setup would cost me $550 for the software whereas I paid like $40 + $30 a year for Blue Iris and can add as many cameras as I like without an extra charge. Also the functionality of Blue Iris is way more flexible IMO. It just kinda works. Plus I'm not sure what NAS you have but mine is not really a speed demon versus the i7 I'm running Blue Iris on.

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I don't have the IOS version, but the Android version. However I can say the Android app just works. It could probably use some UI polishing, but it is overall pretty simple, is stable, and I get motion notifications on my cell within seconds. I was able to get Blue Iris setup with 6 Dahua cams (currently) connecting via OpenVPN.

Blackhawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The BI iOS app isn't pretty, but it works. If there was a major incompatibility problem I am sure they would fix it. Could it do with an aesthetic update? Sure. So could I. :)

My wife is also non-technical and uses the iOS app no problems.

Overall I think BI is rock solid and amazing value for money. I've tried several other NAS and native solutions and always come back to BI.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
For me it’s been flakey recently with not all clips being playable. I get some clips only playing for a few seconds and then skipping to the next but if I go back and forth a few times then eventually it seems to play. The other problem which had been resolved previously but now is back is when going back to review clips, unless you let around 7-10 seconds to play the going back just keeps on going back to start of the current clip you were just watching.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just noticed another problem, when I select an alert to play it plays back an earlier alert instead of the one shown in snapshot.

Really strange not had this or seen this before.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just noticed another problem, when I select an alert to play it plays back an earlier alert instead of the one shown in snapshot.

Really strange not had this or seen this before.
Have you tried rebuilding the DB?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you haven’t already updated, it looks like version 2 of the iOS app was released this week. Much of it is the same, but there’s some useful improvements to check out.