Are you guys greasing your RJ45 connectors?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the benefit of others the following chemicals are NOT the same! They each have their role in specific use cases. Some are intended to clean, lubricate, inhibit. Whereas others are intended to promoted electrical conductivity while preventing arching.

While others increase the bonding surface area which directly translates to better electrical continuity while inhibiting air & moisture preventing corrosion.

Apply the wrong chemical to a high voltage connection. You’ll feel the pain of having to replace said device on your own dime or be fired due to negligence!

View attachment 85721
Deoxit is great stuff. I've solved many odd issue's with a variety of equipment in the movie theatre business over the years. Every tool box should include a can.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Deoxit is great stuff. I've solved many odd issue's with a variety of equipment in the movie theatre business over the years. Every tool box should include a can.
100%

That’s right up there with different types of penetration oils to loosen or break open a bolt / screw / nut.

Doesn’t matter what your poison of choice is from the tried and true WD-40, Movit, to NASA approved micro oils!

IMG_6340.jpg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t pretend to know what this stuff is made of. But a friend at NASA sent me two small bottles of this penetrating oil. The capillary action of this extremely fine oil soaks into anything to allow a bolt / screw to be removed.

Love it . . .

IMG_6341.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t pretend to know what this stuff is made of. But a friend at NASA sent me two small bottles of this penetrating oil. The capillary action of this extremely fine oil soaks into anything to allow a bolt / screw to be removed.

Love it . . .

View attachment 85731
Gee, from the warnings, it may have some rocket fuel in it. ;)
I'll stick with my old standby
1617053772176.png

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, she became a successful body builder! bwahaha...

anyways, I've always been confused by this stuff. if its NOT conductive, can't it get in between the contacts you need to make and PREVENT making contact?

"'s'plain me that, Lucy!"... :)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
anyways, I've always been confused by this stuff. if its NOT conductive, can't it get in between the contacts you need to make and PREVENT making contact?

"'s'plain me that, Lucy!"... :)
Generally where you have good contact it displaces and whatever remains is thin enough that it doesn't affect anything, I've seen various tests and they all seem to show the same.

I suppose with a wide enough gap you could get enough between that it could (that's kind of what it's supposed to do).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of using a little or a lot, the manufacturer wants you to use as much as possible for a good reason...to sell you more! I've had very good results with a little dab on the contacts but with everything else in life YMMV.

Last edited: