Are you guys greasing your RJ45 connectors?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you folks use the standard RJ45 ethernet connector on an outdoor camera, are you greasing them when you make the connection or do you just plug the ethernet cable into the camera's pigtail?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use the search function in the upper right corner of the screen and type "dielectric grease "
You'll find lots of threads and posts discussing the use of. Also coax seal tape. I plan to use both as recommended by the gurus.
Thanks! I've kinda given up on the search functions as they sort of suck.. I've never greased my connectors inside the house, but was wondering if you guys use it outside because it seems like a good idea.

Now I know.. LOL

Reaction score
With power over ethernet being 48VDC, using dielectric grease is practically a REQUIREMENT. I'm fortunate that although my exterior cameras are exposed to the elements, their pigtails are safely tucked away far inside/behind the exterior walls.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With power over ethernet being 48VDC, using dielectric grease is practically a REQUIREMENT. I'm fortunate that although my exterior cameras are exposed to the elements, their pigtails are safely tucked away far inside/behind the exterior walls.
Mine are as well.. sort of. The camera base is mounted directly to the soffit of the house and I just drill a 1/2 inch hole to slide the pigtail through.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found this, Is this the way you guys do it?

Use dielectric grease (which is uniformly non-conducting) on all connections and in all RJ-45 Ethernet connectors. The best practice is to use enough grease to fill the RJ-45 female connector, and then insert the RJ-45 male connector and push the grease further into the Canopy unit and around the RJ-45 connector. Excess grease can be wiped over the connector area to provide some resistance to water ingress around the connector.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never used that much for RJ45 connectors. For some other things I may slather it on but here you've only got relatively small area and connectors so the rest of the excess isn't doing much of anything. Won't hurt to glob it in there I guess but enough to cover the contacts on both sides is enough. I put a little blob to cover the male side contacts. A little blob on the female side. Plug it in. Wrap it. Done.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @Mike A. I thought the way described seemed excessive and would be rather messy. I’ll go with the blobs as you suggested. My connections won’t be directly exposed to the elements.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Since I started using dielectric grease I haven't been plagued with dropouts anywhere nearly as much. I even went back and added it to older connections that weren't giving me problems. I just put a little dab on the front of the male connector and another dab on the pins of the connector. Seems to work well for me and not at all messy. YMMV.

Edit - The dielectric grease is in addition to the glands, tape and rubberized tape. Even in a soffit condensation can happen due to fast temperature changes.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
For the benefit of others the following chemicals are NOT the same! They each have their role in specific use cases. Some are intended to clean, lubricate, inhibit. Whereas others are intended to promoted electrical conductivity while preventing arching.

While others increase the bonding surface area which directly translates to better electrical continuity while inhibiting air & moisture preventing corrosion.

Apply the wrong chemical to a high voltage connection. You’ll feel the pain of having to replace said device on your own dime or be fired due to negligence!

IMG_6339.jpg

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
anyone have an amazon link to the best stuff to use? thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score