Are those security camera kits you see at the big box stores worth it?

adamant118

n3wb
Reaction score
I see the camera kits at the big box stores for sale it's a few hundred dollars for the whole complete kit. I am installing one at my garage and I would like your input on them. What would you do? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Loaded question :)
If like most of us, you DO get one, then you will very probably realise pretty soon that the limitations outweigh the cost of more 'relevant' units.
If it is a low price, ask yourself, can you afford to drop that amount and not worry (too much) if not, what is the return policy of that store? maybe get it do a test over a weekend and then return if your not happy.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
imho the cheaper units typically leave much to be desired.

With the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret looney2ns mentions you can just install one or 2 cameras and get a micro-SD card for each camera to store the video.

I have seen some nicer kits at the bulk stores.. however the cheapest that I would buy recently is a Dahua OEM set for $800

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are those security camera kits you see at the big box stores worth it?

Short Answer - No.

Long Answer - No Because ...

1. They are usually analogue, not IP,
2. They use fixed wide angle lenses which means the footage is usually useless for identification, unless the offender gets really close to the camera.
3. Their night vision is usually rubbish.
4. The hard drives are cheap, undersized, and prone to failure.
5. The recorded footage is often stored at resolutions well below those of the camera, or compressed so hard as to be useless.
6. It is impossible to integrate them with anything.

but ...

they are better than nothing.