Are there any compact ANPR (Licence plate reading) cameras?

Data1

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve been searching for some cameras with ANPR features built in, but all the cameras I’ve found so far appear to be relatively large. I’d prefer the camera have the ANPR feature built in, since I’d like to utilize the automatic character recognition built in the ANPR equipped cameras. It doesn’t need a large zoom since the plate reading distance would be in the 20 to 100 foot range.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
20 feet to 100 feet is a large range for these cameras and two differ cameras.

A 100 foot range is going above 32mm focal length and realistically more like 48mm, so it will be a larger bullet camera.

Depending on you use and location, you may find the automated ANPR system to be problematic- it is a proprietary system and many have said they struggle with USA plates.

Using a 3rd party platform provides the most flexibility.

Data1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply wittaj, I should’ve been a little more clear on the distance. The camera will have a clear view of plates for a range of 20 to 100 feet where the vehicle travels in a straight line before it turns and since they are traveling in a relatively straight line, the camera could be set up for any distance in that range. The cars would be moving at speeds between 5-20mph and the camera would be at about plate height and an angle to the side of about 8 to 12 degrees.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
ANPR in the camera takes processing power. That requires more space, so a small one isn't going to happen with onboard ANPR. At 20-40 feet you can probably get away with any of the 3-12mm varifocal cameras. I think you'll find varifocal important because focus at night and during the day may need to be slightly different. Once again small won;t happen because of the lens being relatively large.