Are restarts normal? Solved issue.

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Early results not looking any better. Unfortunately.

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well...taking out the Nvidia GPU did nothing! PC is stable without BI running. Here are the recent graphs. Uninstalled graphics card, changed bios settings to let motherboard know it wasn't there, installed deepstack CPU. Graphics card taken out at 16:00, I completed some tasks and restarted computer around 20:00, and then BI app crashed and restarted at 0700 or so this morning. Will post some perhaps unique settings in BI in a little bit (related to simple web pushes) to Hubitat (smart home automation ) to gather some opinions. I am at a loss right now.
1667563723774.png

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a typical format of an alert that I send to hubitat. Hubitat has a virtual motion sensor that shows active when the camera in BI sets off the alert. It is set to fire with a required AI object of "person."

Others do this type of thing? (http) send stuff?

The other thing I so, is have an ipad show the current view of my driveway and porch cams. Here is a link example. http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:xx/image/DrvWy?s=5

Thoughts?

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
at 08:20, I have disabled all cameras, and will bring one back each couple of hours, but only if RAM is stable. Other things to try?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That seems like the next logical step. We have seen a few people that even a complete wipe and format of their system and reloading BI from scratch, they still had a memory leak.

Hopefully you find a problematic camera and then simply delete it and re-add and see if that takes care of it.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a typical format of an alert that I send to hubitat. Hubitat has a virtual motion sensor that shows active when the camera in BI sets off the alert. It is set to fire with a required AI object of "person."

Others do this type of thing? (http) send stuff?

The other thing I so, is have an ipad show the current view of my driveway and porch cams. Here is a link example. http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:xx/image/DrvWy?s=5

Thoughts?
yes its normal to see camera control, camera streams, and alerts in http. Some you can set up tls/https but to do it correctly, you would have to have a private CA server that is a separate machine from any NVR. This is why ip cameras should never directly connect to the internet.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That seems like the next logical step. We have seen a few people that even a complete wipe and format of their system and reloading BI from scratch, they still had a memory leak.

Hopefully you find a problematic camera and then simply delete it and re-add and see if that takes care of it.
I wonder if anyone is having issues with a windows server installation. Because the way it manages memory is way different than the consumer OS versions.

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. My rig has been stable for the last two days, so I figured that I would provide a 'final' report.

Here is the most recent graph, showing how things were, to how they are now. The almost straight horizontal line on RAM shows that BI is no longer restarting, and ram is no longer increasingly being used. The CPU usage is stable, and low. The network sent is very low and stable as well.
1667827578729.png

So, what was the issue? I have an ipad that displays two tiles, one with the driveway and the other with the porch video feed. To ensure that I had a somewhat stable feed, I would refresh every so many minutes. Well, let's just say, the refresh was working properly, but unfortunately instead of each video feed stopping and then restarting with the interval refresh, BI was treating the refresh as an entirely new feed request, even though the ipad had the same IP address. So, if I had the refresh at 5 minutes, each 5 minutes of time, BI would provide 2 new streams. 5 minutes later, 2 additional feeds. This created increased ram, CPU, and network usage until the BI software restarted.

I am reporting the issue to Ken (with Blue Iris), so that he can take this behavior into consideration for future releases.

Brock

I wanted to thank you all for your help and hope this perhaps helps others come up with ideas on how to pinpoint issues.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Huh. I have 2 iPads and an android set up permanently around my house so that I can see outside conveniently. My BI restarts about every other day as well.
This could explain those restarts. It has been happening for so long (restarts) I just thought that was how BI behaved.

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Huh. I have 2 iPads and an android set up permanently around my house so that I can see outside conveniently. My BI restarts about every other day as well.
This could explain those restarts. It has been happening for so long (restarts) I just thought that was how BI behaved.
Could be. Do not do a refresh every x minutes, and see what happens.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They need to be manually refreshed every few days. I use Chrome and am too lazy to run a script to refresh them every so often.
So when I walk by i just manually refresh the page on whichever tablet is showing the orange clock. Between the 3 of them I am refreshing one of them roughly every other day or more.

I have had BI running for 2 years on a purpose built, fully dedicated high end rig. No reinstalls, no moves from a different setup. All fresh. I have DeepStack on CPU. I introduced the tablets about 6 months after firing up the whole operation.

Restarts for BI have been happening pretty much from day one, just figured it is an unstable product.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They need to be manually refreshed every few days. I use Chrome and am too lazy to run a script to refresh them every so often.
So when I walk by i just manually refresh the page on whichever tablet is showing the orange clock. Between the 3 of them I am refreshing one of them roughly every other day or more.

I have had BI running for 2 years on a purpose built, fully dedicated high end rig. No reinstalls, no moves from a different setup. All fresh. I have DeepStack on CPU. I introduced the tablets about 6 months after firing up the whole operation.

Restarts for BI have been happening pretty much from day one, just figured it is an unstable product.
Nope, restarts are not normal. That is crazy you have been experiencing on a new build. I am wondering if it is a particular camera causing it or something else.

The only time mine restarts is if I manually reboot the computer or when I occasionally do a BI update and something goes sideways. I report it to Ken and it is usually fixed in the next update.