Are domes that bad for outdoor?

showlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was reading up on the cliffnotes that stated that "Installing dome cameras outdoors. Dome cameras have more glare and IR reflection issues, as well as decay of the plastic dome due to long-term direct UV exposure. Turret / Eye ball form factor cameras are preferred"

Is it really that bad? I have plans to place IP cameras in both shaded and unshaded outdoor.

To simplify install I was going to standardize to a Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I 4MP dome.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every install and location is going to be different.

My neighbors domes have all glazed over like you see car headlights do sometimes. Just like car headlights - some glaze over and others do not.

Some will produce more glare, but I have turret's that will get a glare too from the glass protecting the lens. More so than a few domes I have out.

Domes tend to need cleaning more often and rain gets on them much more frequently. Mine are fairly protected being used as overview cams and I still need to wipe down as water tends to sit on them longer and leave a dirt trail.

If you are careful moving the camera and reinstalling the dome (if the camera offers that feature) and assure a tight seal, you can overcome the IR reflection. I have never experienced that problem.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I personally don't like domes. I replaced all of mine with eyeball/turrets. I had bad dust particle reflections when in IR mode on my domes when I had them.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I use dome outdoors where the camera are mounted like at 2-3 ft height to capture clear face shots from under. One of the location for me is front door for packages

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading up on the cliffnotes that stated that "Installing dome cameras outdoors. Dome cameras have more glare and IR reflection issues, as well as decay of the plastic dome due to long-term direct UV exposure. Turret / Eye ball form factor cameras are preferred"

Is it really that bad? I have plans to place IP cameras in both shaded and unshaded outdoor.

To simplify install I was going to standardize to a Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I 4MP dome.
Hi @showlow

Yes, Domes are more problematic than Turrets.

Heat and UV exposure damage dome cameras over the course of time. Thus for exposed cameras, it is just a question of time before you will see issues.

So, as a general rule I avoid using them outdoors when I can find a turret model to do the job instead.

Only exception is the mini-dome wedge camera I like to use at face level by the front door / entances - which is protected from most of the day's direct UV exposure. ( so should last longer )

showlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @showlow

Yes, Domes are more problematic than Turrets.

Heat and UV exposure damage dome cameras over the course of time. Thus for exposed cameras, it is just a question of time before you will see issues.

So, as a general rule I avoid using them outdoors when I can find a turret model to do the job instead.

Only exception is the mini-dome wedge camera I like to use at face level by the front door / entances - which is protected from most of the day's direct UV exposure. ( so should last longer )
You placed me in a pickel... Do i convert both indoor and outdoor cameras to turrets or just status quo.

Are turrets rain-proof enough to withstand category 5 super typhoons?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You placed me in a pickel... Do i convert both indoor and outdoor cameras to turrets or just status quo.

Are turrets rain-proof enough to withstand category 5 super typhoons?
When you find anything that’s guaranteed to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane, let me know. I’m in Florida so we get our fair share.

But yes, if it says it’s outdoor rated then it’s water proof.

showlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you find anything that’s guaranteed to withstand a Cat 5hurricane, let me know. I’m in Florida so we get our fair share.
can turrents handle 43c (110f) temps?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
can turrents handle 43c (110f) temps?
Check the specs for the camera. The 5442 is rated to 140F operating temps which it should never encounter unless you are placing inside an attic or other similar enclosure.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would venture to guess that dome cameras would be more susceptible to allowing water in because, well you know, you have to take the dome off to reposition the camera to point the way you want it, so you could definitely not seat it properly putting it back together...

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would venture to guess that dome cameras would be more susceptible to allowing water in because, well you know, you have to take the dome off to reposition the camera to point the way you want it, so you could definitely not seat it properly putting it back together...
Yep, had this happen to me once, kept fogging up inside overnight and I had to replace the dessicant pack to fix it. I've now switched the domes to eyeballs, no issues and it's also much easier to aim a turret camera.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Domes should be avoided outdoors, imo. Open them once, they fog forever more. The dome glazes over in time. Just really not a good choice outdoors. If you absolutely must, get a motorized dome so you can aim it without opening the dome ever. And make darn sure you seal it to the wall well to avoid rain getting in the gap behind. Never had a dome worth a darn without frequent troubles outdoors. YMMV.

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used to like turrets but they are pretty large for Hikvision at least. Mini bullets look better and less stand out

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Have installed tens of thousands of dome cameras in every building structure known to man over 36 plus years.

This spans from vehicles, boats, trains, tanks, poles, bridges, towers, and buildings.

People are not taking into consideration the quality of hardware, initial prep, and best practices of installation.

Billions of domes are in place now without any issue.

Why???

Quality products used, properly rated for said environment, prepped for solid air & water mitigation, and proper final installation.

People are also not taking into consideration if you see a first tier dome say from Axis (insert any first tier) name that is showing signs of yellowing.

That camera was built upon that current technology at the time say 1980-1990. Which asking took 15 years for said dome to turn yellow. All the while it’s been in a direct sun light in Dubai at a freaking 60-85’C of internal temp!

Fast forward to 2000 - 2021 guess what?!?

The technology for glass and plastics have evolved to be incredibly durable and long lasting while offering incredible strength and impact resistance.

Think Gorilla Glass and the like. Think anti glare, anti UV coatings, anti rain, etc.

You’re simply not going to see that same best in class technology in a $45.00 dome from AliExpress!

Having said this almost every 2nd tier manufacturer has incorporated at the minimum industry best practices for IP and long term durability into their final product.

Why???

Because it’s something they already do like breathing.

Older technology (Read Cheap) also didn’t use the latest foam rings or partitions to isolate the IR vs lens in low priced domes to prevent IR bleed.

These same domes also didn’t incorporate the most basic water tight gaskets or glands. You’ll note many of these cheap ass domes had no IP Rating or one that was so low you might as well accepted something is going to happen not (IF).

The idea and creation of the turret camera solved many physical & technical issues for sure. This is why they are seen and used in millions of homes and small businesses.

They are however rarely if ever seen or used in high security deployments. Having supported eight American military bases and three Canadian. Which spanned 17 years a turret camera has never been installed.

At home I use all three styles for very specific locations and reasons. But, the vast majority are dome cameras which have never seen the same issues often touted here and on the inter webs.

To put it into perspective 90% of all the hardware deployed are 1st tier. While the remaining ten percent are 2nd tier from the likes of Dahua / Hikvision.

None of these 2nd tier cameras have ever seen a failure or issues relating to water penetration, fog, IR bleed, peeling & yellowing.

The reality is besides improper installation and using cheap ass gear. Buying a camera from a reputable company even if 2nd tier will offer you more than ten years of service life before anything could possibly happen.

At ten years it’s time for a freaking upgrade!!

Seeing people still rocking 700 TV lines of resolution in 2021 just makes me shake my head?!?

Lastly, using analog cameras in very specific environments still makes sense given the zero video lag and lack of network reliance & failure points.

One of the greatest advances in that realm is seeing HD like analog. Didn’t think that dog would hunt - but does.

showlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have installed tens of thousands of dome cameras in every building structure known to man over 36 plus years.

This spans from vehicles, boats, trains, tanks, poles, bridges, towers, and buildings.

People are not taking into consideration the quality of hardware, initial prep, and best practices of installation.

Billions of domes are in place now without any issue.

Why???

Quality products used, properly rated for said environment, prepped for solid air & water mitigation, and proper final installation.

People are also not taking into consideration if you see a first tier dome say from Axis (insert any first tier) name that is showing signs of yellowing.

That camera was built upon that current technology at the time say 1980-1990. Which asking took 15 years for said dome to turn yellow. All the while it’s been in a direct sun light in Dubai at a freaking 60-85’C of internal temp!

Fast forward to 2000 - 2021 guess what?!?

The technology for glass and plastics have evolved to be incredibly durable and long lasting while offering incredible strength and impact resistance.

Think Gorilla Glass and the like. Think anti glare, anti UV coatings, anti rain, etc.

You’re simply not going to see that same best in class technology in a $45.00 dome from AliExpress!

Having said this almost every 2nd tier manufacturer has incorporated at the minimum industry best practices for IP and long term durability into their final product.

Why???

Because it’s something they already do like breathing.

Older technology (Read Cheap) also didn’t use the latest foam rings or partitions to isolate the IR vs lens in low priced domes to prevent IR bleed.

These same domes also didn’t incorporate the most basic water tight gaskets or glands. You’ll note many of these cheap ass domes had no IP Rating or one that was so low you might as well accepted something is going to happen not (IF).

The idea and creation of the turret camera solved many physical & technical issues for sure. This is why they are seen and used in millions of homes and small businesses.

They are however rarely if ever seen or used in high security deployments. Having supported eight American military bases and three Canadian. Which spanned 17 years a turret camera has never been installed.

At home I use all three styles for very specific locations and reasons. But, the vast majority are dome cameras which have never seen the same issues often touted here and on the inter webs.

To put it into perspective 90% of all the hardware deployed are 1st tier. While the remaining ten percent are 2nd tier from the likes of Dahua / Hikvision.

None of these 2nd tier cameras have ever seen a failure or issues relating to water penetration, fog, IR bleed, peeling & yellowing.

The reality is besides improper installation and using cheap ass gear. Buying a camera from a reputable company even if 2nd tier will offer you more than ten years of service life before anything could possibly happen.

At ten years it’s time for a freaking upgrade!!

Seeing people still rocking 700 TV lines of resolution in 2021 just makes me shake my head?!?

Lastly, using analog cameras in very specific environments still makes sense given the zero video lag and lack of network reliance & failure points.

One of the greatest advances in that realm is seeing HD like analog. Didn’t think that dog would hunt - but does.
Thank you very much! Your description is very reassuring.

Before I got involved with CCTV installs the company I work for standardized to 8-ch DVRs that cost $100/each with matching analog 2MP bullet cameras that cost less than $20 from Hikvision, Dahua and N_Eye. I saw the pros and cons of each. Pros being it fitting a budget and cons that involved dust, dirt, spider webs, vermin, ground noise and interference. Good luck being able to recognize much less identify (DORI) the stranger or license plate.

I settled with Hikivision having seen the top-end malls, top-end gated communities and city govt using it .

Using BHPhoto as my guide I selected Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I 4MP IP dome camera to match with a Hikvision DS-7608NI-Q2/8P 8-ch NVR as a test bed as these were the most popular model being bought for 4MP IP cameras and 8-ch NVRs.

After using it for 3 months everyone's happy with it. Further readings showed that this IP camera is the most popular 4MP surveillance camera model being used globally.

My install is being placed in a small industry park with a thousand people entering and exiting daily so a vandal-resistant camera is a must.

In all honesty I'd love to use a 1/1.2" CMOS sensor 8MP (4K) IP turret camera but due to budget and vandalism concerns gotta go with a 1/3" CMOS sensor 4MP IP dome camera.

Maybe by year 2031 IP cameras with 1" CMOS sensor 8MP (4K) IP cameras will sell for ~$80.

I think turrets IP cameras make sense so long as vandalism is not expected as few people live near the install or these people are not physical enough to damage cameras.

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Right, vandalism is not any more of a concern with turrets. The biggest reason to choose a dome in a location described above is to obscure from the general public where the camera is aimed. Turret cameras you know where they're aimed. With domes people just assume they're on camera even if the camera inside is pointing in a completely different direction. Just get good ones preferably motorized to aim and focus remotely.