Are bullet cameras more prone to icing up than turret cameras?

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got about a dozen outdoor cameras, but all but one of them, my IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E, are turrets. The Z12E is the only camera that ices over every time we get the least little bit of freezing fog.
I have to blame the bullet format, not the location, as the Z12E is mounted on a post with a Color4k-T180 and a T5442T-ZE, and neither one of them have ever iced over.

Are there any tricks to keeping a bullet from icing up, or if not, any tricks for removing the ice?

We got some freezing fog this morning, followed by light snow that is continuing to fall. To get the ice off I had to drape a cloth over the camera to keep the snow off while I spritzed warm water on the glass until the iced melted, and then immediately dried all moisture off of the glass. I then had to leave the cloth draped over the camera for several minutes so snow wouldn't hit the glass until the glass cooled back down below freezing. Fortunately the camera is about 8 feet off the ground and can be reached easily from a step stool.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was wondering if you or one of the others might suggest one sure fire way of preventing icing is to install the cameras in Florida. :)
Since installing the Z12E in mid-December it has iced over 3 times. I think I may have had one turret ice over in the last 5 years, and none of them have this winter.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Never noticed that with mine or measured but I'd guess that whatever heat is produced isn't as concentrated with the larger body of the bullet vs the smaller ball of the turret. And you have a larger surface area for moisture to sit and freeze at the lens end. Not sure there's much that you can practically do about it. Maybe something like RainX on the front to keep water from collecting there as much?

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's pretty much my working theory. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap infrared thermometer gun and see what kinds of readings I get off of the 3 cameras.