Apple MacBook Dahua Questions

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just got my new NVR16CH-16P-AI and some 54IR-S3 cameras. I have a MacBook Pro and was wondering if you have any tips for me to get it all going successfully? Andy mentioned these new cameras don’t have to use Internet Explorer so what browser do you suggest with Apple? Anything helps! Thank you

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got my new NVR16CH-16P-AI and some 54IR-S3 cameras. I have a MacBook Pro and was wondering if you have any tips for me to get it all going successfully? Andy mentioned these new cameras don’t have to use Internet Explorer so what browser do you suggest with Apple? Anything helps! Thank you
Basic things (1/4 channel live view, playback, most of the configuration) works in Safari / FF / Chrome on mac without plugin.
For more advanced (more channels, more playback search options, some AI configuration options) You need Windows + installed Dahua plugin.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was thinking of just using the computer to set up the cameras then use the NVR and a monitor for view/live feedback.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On my MacMini running Sonoma 14.1.2, Safari was working great with the WEB 5.0 interface, until the most recent update from Apple. I had to switch over to Google Chrome Version 120.0.6099.109 to gain full access again. For any of my older cameras not running WEB 5.0, I have to either run BootCamp with Windows 10 and Internet Explorer on my older MacBook Pro, or else run Windows 10 with Internet Explorer on a Mini PC. The MacBook with BootCamp and MiniPC work fine with Google Chrome on the WEB 5.0 interface. Do you have a newer MacBook that won't run BootCamp? If so, you will have to try either Google Chrome or Safari for the new cameras that run on the new interface. Unfortunately, I have not found anything that can access all the features of the older cameras, like the PTZ's, except on a machine that will run Internet Explorer, which is why I have hung on to my old MacBook.

Sonoma-with-Chrome.jpg

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I actually have the older MacBook. I did not realize what boot camp was. Thank you!
BootCamp will work great on an older MacBook with Windows 10. You will be able to access everything with Internet Explorer. One note: SmartPSS is awful on the older MacBook. SmartPSS only runs reliably on the newer M1/M2 chip Macs.

Reaction score
On my MacMini running Sonoma 14.1.2, Safari was working great with the WEB 5.0 interface, until the most recent update from Apple. I had to switch over to Google Chrome Version 120.0.6099.109 to gain full access again. For any of my older cameras not running WEB 5.0, I have to either run BootCamp with Windows 10 and Internet Explorer on my older MacBook Pro, or else run Windows 10 with Internet Explorer on a Mini PC. The MacBook with BootCamp and MiniPC work fine with Google Chrome on the WEB 5.0 interface. Do you have a newer MacBook that won't run BootCamp? If so, you will have to try either Google Chrome or Safari for the new cameras that run on the new interface. Unfortunately, I have not found anything that can access all the features of the older cameras, like the PTZ's, except on a machine that will run Internet Explorer, which is why I have hung on to my old MacBook.

View attachment 180933
I have a MacBook Air 2020, M1 running Sonoma 14.1.2. I have the same cameras and NVR on order. Do you think I will have full access to setup and features or will I need something else?

thanks!

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a MacBook Air 2020, M1 running Sonoma 14.1.2. I have the same cameras and NVR on order. Do you think I will have full access to setup and features or will I need something else?

thanks!
I wrote Andy and he said Google Chrome works perfectly fine with the new cameras and that the NVR can make the majority of the camera settings except shutter speed (which would be done with Chrome). I think you will have no issues!!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually have the older MacBook. I did not realize what boot camp was. Thank you!
Bootcamp may be more trouble than it's worth.
Easier to use a VM within Mac OS. Virtual Box is free and would work it it's an intel mac. If it's a newer Mac you can use UTM. If you have a copy of Windows 7 kicking around, I'd use that for a camera VM if needed.

Dahua does make a version of SmartPSS that works on Mac.
Hopefully, for most functions you'll just be able to use your browser without any trouble. If there are certain features that don't work in your browser hopefully you can access them via the NVR with a mouse / keyboard or via SmartPSS.

Since you mention it's an older MacBook, I'll assume it's intel based. Depending on exactly what OS version you're running, it may be possible to have an older specific browser that works with the camera plugins if needed. Browsers like Palemoon, Basilisk, or Firefox ESR 52 (with updates disabled), may work.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bootcamp may be more trouble than it's worth.
Easier to use a VM within Mac OS. Virtual Box is free and would work it it's an intel mac. If it's a newer Mac you can use UTM. If you have a copy of Windows 7 kicking around, I'd use that for a camera VM if needed.

Dahua does make a version of SmartPSS that works on Mac.
Hopefully, for most functions you'll just be able to use your browser without any trouble. If there are certain features that don't work in your browser hopefully you can access them via the NVR with a mouse / keyboard or via SmartPSS.

Since you mention it's an older MacBook, I'll assume it's intel based. Depending on exactly what OS version you're running, it may be possible to have an older specific browser that works with the camera plugins if needed. Browsers like Palemoon, Basilisk, or Firefox ESR 52 (with updates disabled), may work.
Yes, it’s an older Mac running the newest version of Big Sur 11.7.10. About virtual box, do you basically use that to access Microsoft applications?

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No issues logging into the Dahua camera interface with Google Chrome, Safari works too. I am running Big Sur and latest versions of Safari and Chrome.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No issues logging into the Dahua camera interface with Google Chrome, Safari works too. I am running Big Sur and latest versions of Safari and Chrome.
What are you using for your live view and playback? Also, are your cameras the newer models or do you have some older ones you’re using Chrome to adjust the camera settings? Thanks!

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My cameras are running firmware version V2.840.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2022-06-29 and web version V3.2.1.1261216.
All exterior cameras are IPC-HFW5442E-ZE. I think they are S2 not S3 versions as they are already a few months old.

I login to the camera's web interface through the browser to adjust settings only.

For viewing, the NVR is connected to a 3 way HDMI splitter, one splits to a Dell 27" screen at the NVR's location in a small server room (this is the primary location for playback and exporting video etc), the other two ways split to 2 HDMI over CAT extenders which then have CAT6 cables running to 2 30" screens for viewing in the main bedroom and the kitchen.

On my Macbook I also have SmartPSS for Mac installed with the NVR loaded for remote access. I have also used this for playback and exporting video at times, which can be convenient as don't need to use a USB drive as with the NVR for exported files.

I also use the DMSS app for iPhone for remote viewing and push notifications on alarm alerts (SMD, IVS etc), also used for playback and exporting video files direct to my phone.

Hope that helps.