APIPA address upon restart

R4nger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm running Windows Server 2019 and upon computer restart, using the blue iris service running different admin credentials so it can sync with a NAS box, I have found that the web server binds to an APIPA address unless the service is restarted.

Is there a solution I can use?

Many thanks
George

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
correct me where I've gone astray:

• you have a basic/vanilla windows installation (standard out-of-the-box server OS)
  • default Administrator (not used)
  • an administrator account specific for BI; i.e. BI-Admin
  • another administrator account used as normal user; i.e. N-Admin
  • "administrator" accounts are members of Administrators
  • Administrators have full access to system; rights, privs, authority, etc
  • BI has been installed on server using BI-Admin account
  • BI service is enabled and uses BI-Admin rather than System account to log on as
  • BI service startup is Automatic
  • Windows has one physical network interface; IP address is static; no virtual switch/network

so far, so good?

Problem is that after a reboot, BI's web server is bound to a 169.254.#.# address.

Behavior is as though BI service does not have permissions to access the network device. Please confirm and/or correct my list of presumptions.

Is this a brand new install or one that has previously worked before making adjustments?

R4nger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

• you have a basic/vanilla windows installation (standard out-of-the-box server OS)
  • BI service is enabled and uses BI-Admin rather than System account to log on as
  • Windows has one physical network interface; IP address is static; no virtual switch/network

so far, so good?

Problem is that after a reboot, BI's web server is bound to a 169.254.#.# address.

Behavior is as though BI service does not have permissions to access the network device. Please confirm and/or correct my list of presumptions.

Is this a brand new install or one that has previously worked before making adjustments?

so far, so good?

Yes you're correct in your assumptions.

It has happened since installing a clean install using as a service under a different account so it can work with a NAS box.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes you're correct in your assumptions.

It has happened since installing a clean install using as a service under a different account so it can work with a NAS box.

Couple of things you can try.

What if you change "Automatic" to "Automatic (delayed start)"? It might simply be timing, though I'm not confident it's that simple.

The other, would be to disable the service and reboot. Log in as BI-Admin and run the application manually to see if that would at least ensure there were no other startup issues.

If the BI-Web server finds the correct IP, it's most likely due to a missing a permission/right that System has and BI-Admin doesn't. Have you checked Windows Logs to see if there is an error being reported.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
an obvious question i forgot to ask.... does BI-Admin has "Logon as Service"

R4nger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It was as simple as changing it to Automatic (Delayed), thank you.