AP Mode or Routing mode

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my camera setup in routing mode. Is AP mode better for wireless or stick with routing mode? Also in the camera settings it has these three settings for night vision Double light vision - infared vision and Full Color Vision. I have it in infared now and I do not want full color vision but I can't find out anything what double light vision is. Does anyone know. Thank you for any help.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Would help anyone who might know if you said what camera and included that in the thread title.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have my camera setup in routing mode. Is AP mode better for wireless or stick with routing mode?
I'd stick with what's working.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that "Routing mode" is likely how most wireless cams have operated for some time, meaning they obtain an IP from your LAN's router via DHCP.
If so, then it traditionally has been called "infrastructure" mode.

"AP mode" quite possibly means that the cam broadcasts a SSID (a wireless signal name) and has a static IP; you log onto it with another wireless device set to a static IP in the same subnet as the AP; a username and/or password is required.
Traditionally this was called "Ad hoc" mode.

If I am correct about the above info, they have worked well for a long, long time without having to be re-named. :cool: