Anyway to simulate more Camera load?

Reaction score
I am planning to update my aging Blue Iris setup soon, but just curious if there is an easy way to simulate higher camera load before I start buying more cameras?
I know I could push the frame rates up to the camera max (25 or 30 on most mine), but not sure if the camera hardware can handle constant pulling of all 2nd (and 3rd when available) lower rez streams as well to boost load a little more?
Just wondering if, for example, I could "Stream" saved video files or anything as an additional camera or something to "simulate" more and more cameras.

I would like to explore the limits of some new Blue Iris hardware looking for bottlenecks before I switch over to it so I can provide some analysis back to these forums.
If there is no "good" way I guess I simply must buy a few more cameras....................................... :rofl:

Last edited:

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Add the same camera multiple times... I believe that will do it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know of anything to create a simulated camera load using recorded video. What I did when I wanted to test the limits was increase frame rates.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used this virtual ip camera application tool. Link is HERE.

This program help me to tune my server and network for thenumber of cameras I added.... Things I changed on my Server such as video cards, memory, drives, etc... Along with changing server OS software resources and switches.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot that there is a way to override the cloning function to force multiple streams from the same camera. This of course will be limited to how many simultaneous high def, streams your camera can supply reliably. From the help file,

"If you have added multiple cameras with the same IP address, video path and camera
number, the software clones the video stream internally—only a single stream request is
actually made to the camera. Which camera window actually connects to the camera may be
otherwise random unless you mark one as the designated Clone master. By using this
option on each camera that would otherwise be cloned, you may defeat the cloning feature
altogether and force the software to make multiple streaming requests from a single camera.

In order to identify cloned cameras, and asterisk (*) is shown after its name in its window
title bar."

Reaction score
Ok thanks @fenderman , @Ratfink11 and @bp2008 surely one of those approaches will work for testing purposes. I am also working on getting 6 more cameras (including one IPC-PFW8802-A180 which I am excited about replacing the mini-dome on the garage that gets a lot of front yard action).

Reaction score
Ok, I got the system powered up and running, but I haven't been able to get "IP Camera Emulator" approach working. I just get either no RTSP stream or heavily artifacted (like 99% gray with weird moving lines for actual shapes). So still got some figuring to do on that one. The AXIS one seems handier, you can just say "create 50 streams", but haven't figured out how to connect to them either.

Meanwhile I'm just streaming 10 streams per camera for testing purposes.