Anyway to get lost password from BI?

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lost my login info to one of my IP cameras but BI has it. Is there a way to un-star the password in BI or get it from the exported reg file from BI?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lost my login info to one of my IP cameras but BI has it. Is there a way to un-star the password in BI or get it from the exported reg file from BI?

Thanks
Unfortunately no...but you can count the number of asterisks so you can determine the total character length of your password.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, yes you can get the password back from BI.

Export the registry data (or simply view it with regedit), and navigate to the configuration area for your camera.

E.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras\Porch

Copy the ippw value and paste it here: https://www.base64decode.org/

Press the decode button and it should tell you your stored password.

For example, if I set a password of 12345, ippw has the value MTIzNDU= and the website I linked above can decode it back to 12345.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Export the registry data (or simply view it with regedit), and navigate to the configuration area for your camera.

For example, if I set a password of 12345, ippw has the value MTIzNDU= and the website I linked above can decode it back to 12345.
Thanks bp2008 that worked.

UKYooper

n3wb
Reaction score

Many thanks, this set me on the right track; note for my Blue Iris 3 install on Windows Server 2012 R2 the registry path is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras (there was also a decoy path which did not have the passwords in here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras).

Note if you don't want to post your camera's base64 encoded password to a website to decode it and you have a Mac or Linux box to hand (or Windows with Cygwin) you can use the following command (replace Tm8sIEkgZGlkbid0IHB1dCBteSBwYXNzd29yZCBoZXJlIDopCg== with your encoded password):
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]echo Tm8sIEkgZGlkbid0IHB1dCBteSBwYXNzd29yZCBoZXJlIDopCg== | base64 --decode[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

wingerr

n3wb
Reaction score
T2gsIGRhcm4sIHRob3VnaHQgaXQgd291bGQgcmV2ZWFsIGEgbmF0aW9uYWwgdHJlYXN1cmUh

;)

UKYooper

n3wb
Reaction score
That made me chuckle, sorry to disappoint (knowledge is a treasure though - especially for the likes of base64decode.org).