anyone using 5231's on motion detection with a dahua NVR? how many false alarms?

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, just as the title asks anyone using 5321's on motion detection with a dahua NVR? how many false alarms? is the motion detection fairly reliable?

looking to upgrade my current junk system as the motion detection is garbage.

Thanks.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you’re using a Dahua NVR, you’ll probably be able to use the IVS feature on the 5231, which is basically “smarter” motion detection.

I had the best luck using IVS Intrusion Zones and enabling the features to alert/record when something crosses one of the lines, or if an object appears within the zone. For me, it was extremely reliable.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
cool,

i think i read your other post about switching to blue iris from a dahua NVR, just wondering, why did you switch?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Back then, the DVR firmware had a bug (since fixed) that caused a second or two of video to be lost when it recorded IVS events.

I started playing around with BI while waiting for that to get fixed and ended up sticking with it. It has a few geek things I liked (like being able to make a HTTP call when motion on a camera is detected, which makes it really easy to interface with some home automation stuff I’m trying to setup).

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back then, the DVR firmware had a bug (since fixed) that caused a second or two of video to be lost when it recorded IVS events.

I started playing around with BI while waiting for that to get fixed and ended up sticking with it. It has a few geek things I liked (like being able to make a HTTP call when motion on a camera is detected, which makes it really easy to interface with some home automation stuff I’m trying to setup).
hmm sounds interesting, if you dont mind me asking, what home automation stuff are you working on?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mostly just automating lights at this point (inside and out). The box that does the automation (ISY-994i) is great with schedules, but being able to trigger also when the cameras sense motion has been useful for flipping lights on for a bit when it's dark outside.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
With outdoor cameras I get so many false alarms with motion detection that it's almost useless. IVS gives very few false alarms, with the exception of spiders and their webs. I'm pretty happy with IVS.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its not a very common acronym, the first thing google gives me is this:

" "IVS" is an acronym that stands for Indestructible Vagina Syndrome. This is the name given to a woman that can be kicked in the crotch and be unharmed "

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is IVS technology?
Intelligent Video Systems (IVS) is a technology that provides advanced, accurate smart video analytics for Dahua network cameras, NVRs, and HCVRs. Dahua offers a variety of built-in intelligent video analytics that range from motion detection, tripwire violations, abandoned or missing object detection and more. With analytics becoming more widespread, the complimentary IVS upgrade provides additional value to the customer’s total solution.