Anyone tested a 4K camera over siamese coax?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've seen some advertized. I know about chasing pixel dust. But I've reciently seen (i think) cameras up to 8mp over coax. Even the rg59 that many homes have already in place.

Would like anyones real world observation on such a camera/system.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean an analog 4K camera for a DVR or use an adapter to send IP POE over a coax?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No adapter ive seen tried has ever worked properly. But have seen DRV with bnc and 4k active deterance cameras advertized by Lorex.....LINK

3840 × 2160 not sure of the frame rate, but if Lorex make some i thought Dahua or someone else may also make them

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve done a lot of installs that were upgraded using existing 59/6 and while they’re not quite as good as IP for clarity and frame rate, they work well for interior.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lorex is made by Dahua....

But that system by Lorex is on a ridiculously small sensor that would be horrible at night. A 1/3" sensor is good for 720P but horrible for 4K

I am using these just fine pushing an IP 4K camera thru BNC wiring

I’ve got a set of those and the passive ones, never used either. Figured I would eventually but most of the time I’d rather run a new cat line and keep the extra money.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lorex is made by Dahua....

But that system by Lorex is on a ridiculously small sensor that would be horrible at night. A 1/3" sensor is good for 720P but horrible for 4K

I am using these just fine pushing an IP 4K camera thru BNC wiring

pushing an IP 4K camera..

We tried these on a home upgrade. It seemed if you use more the two cameras using them the video lagged greatly. Maybe it was our inability to configure it correctly?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve got a set of those and the passive ones, never used either. Figured I would eventually but most of the time I’d rather run a new cat line and keep the extra money.
The passive ones we tried were much worse. I can't recomed them at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
pushing an IP 4K camera..

We tried these on a home upgrade. It seemed if you use more the two cameras using them the video lagged greatly. Maybe it was our inability to configure it correctly?
I have tested it with 5 cameras off of one adapter and experienced no lag.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have tested it with 5 cameras off of one adapter and experienced no lag.
That's some good info. Something I may need to look back at. Thanks!

Edit to add...
we tried one at each end of the coax runs to replace a DVR with an NVR for a customer that wanted 8mp cameras to replace his analog system. I sugested to the company owner I was working for we shoud try them out at his shop before we went to the customes home. No time, so we went in blind. That is why I feel we should have played around with some of the configurations before hand. It was a Dahua 16 port NVR replacing a 16 port dahua oem dvr and 1080p analog cameras with 4k 8mp. 9 total cameras.
At that point we replaced the coax, but it wasn't easy due to nail in staples holding the siamese coax in place.

Last edited: