Anyone seen the IP4M-S2112EW-AI Amcrest/Dahua camera in the wild?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, I'll take one for the team. Just ordered.
I think looney2ns will have a review of the EmpireTech version of this ptz later on. Andy posted some pics of this mini ptz before.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The biggest drawback I see is the 1/3" sensor, which is barely suitable for less than 1MP; a 4MP with that sensor size won't be much good at night without supplemental lighting, IMO.
Yeah, I really just need it to be able to ID people at my gate, and communicate with them. When UPS/FedEx send sub drivers who don't know the gate code (or who struggle reading the instructions on the gate), it'd be nice to give them verbal instructions... First world problems.

I have plenty of coverage with other cameras at night.

ETA: on second though, after researching the sensor size of 1/3 vs. the 1/2.7 that is currently on my other amcrests, I think this would be step backwards. Got cold feet. Pulled the plug. TY.

Last edited:

mrbadlans

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm actually not using it in "night mode." I've got it installed on top of my house, and it's focused in an area that's several hundred yards away from the camera. I'll see if I can get some night shots, but I'm really not using it for that. Stay tuned.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'll take what I can get :) I actually ordered it when it was released, but then got cold feet. I probably will end up buying if the reports continue to come in positive.

JohnBecich

n3wb
Reaction score
I've installed this camera is an industrial parking lot. I own several other, lesser Amcrest cameras and their "human recognition" algorithm is very impressive. So I bought one IP4M-S2112EW-AI expecting the same. Instead, I find that it's non-functional for "humans" and works only like a dumb camera that recognizes any kind of motion. Can anyone else corroborate this? My camera's firmware is dated Jan 30 2023, so it's quite recent.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've installed this camera is an industrial parking lot. I own several other, lesser Amcrest cameras and their "human recognition" algorithm is very impressive. So I bought one IP4M-S2112EW-AI expecting the same. Instead, I find that it's non-functional for "humans" and works only like a dumb camera that recognizes any kind of motion. Can anyone else corroborate this? My camera's firmware is dated Jan 30 2023, so it's quite recent.
Thanks for the update. Any word on the picture quality? Especially at night?

JohnBecich

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Any word on the picture quality? Especially at night?
Good in daytime, blurred at night in some parts. I'll post a picture. See for yourself. This is at max zoom. Notice the chain link fence. Lighting is from flood lights, not from the camera. I cannot test for efficacy of inboard light emission.night performance with spotlight, PTZ1.jpg

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For the $200USD price, that's not bad at all. Unfortunately I have no external (white) lighting at my intended location, so still unsure about whether the IR based night image quality would be a disqualifier. Your image is definitely a good data point, though.