Anyone out there tried these Wago connectors?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this most appropriately, so here goes....

Anybody out there used these yet? I kept seeing them used inside cramped switch and outlet boxes in European and SA videos featuring Shelly Wi-Fi switches. My curiosity peaked so when I discovered they are UL-listed I ordered a 10-pack of the 3 position 221 series (221-413) from Amazon.

The UL approval, the built-in insulation strip length gauge, the allowance for stranded and solid conductors ranging from #28 to #14, provided test points and the clear plastic case for visual inspection convinced me to try them out.

I like the fact that, unlike a wire nut, you can remove and re-insert 1 of the 3 wires...that can be handy if you're replacing a failed or suspect component.

I don't plan to quit using wire nuts or to replace wire nuts with these but I do think they have a place and I hope to try these Wago's out soon.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. My electrician used some on my bathroom lighting. They're becoming pretty standard over here I think albeit slowly. I've bought some myself and whilst not used in anything, I have tried clamping and unclamping some wires in them and they seem pretty solid. Usually EU electrical standards are very strict.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I dare you to join the FB group "Electrical Wall of Shame" and ask about Wagos! There are some strong opinions but I think I'll try them out. Like you say, it's easier to remove just one wire and more comfortable to work with. May be a bit more awkward to get in a single-gang box but there must be a reason they're mandated in the UK.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve used them. They are fine but way more expensive that traditional wire nuts.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would be interested in how well they work. I can envision using in an application like wiring a new ceiling fan or an outside light with shallow box. Still don’t know if I have enough guts to attempt it though.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I only use them when a customer wants a tv mounted and I have to put a power outlet in behind tv above an existing outlet. If no outlet I tell them to call a sparky!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It’s just a heavy duty scotch lock. Gotta have some guitar player fingertips on the thicker gauge wire.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this most appropriately, so here goes....

Anybody out there used these yet? I kept seeing them used inside cramped switch and outlet boxes in European and SA videos featuring Shelly Wi-Fi switches. My curiosity peaked so when I discovered they are UL-listed I ordered a 10-pack of the 3 position 221 series (221-413) from Amazon.

The UL approval, the built-in insulation strip length gauge, the allowance for stranded and solid conductors ranging from #28 to #14, provided test points and the clear plastic case for visual inspection convinced me to try them out.

I like the fact that, unlike a wire nut, you can remove and re-insert 1 of the 3 wires...that can be handy if you're replacing a failed or suspect component.

I don't plan to quit using wire nuts or to replace wire nuts with these but I do think they have a place and I hope to try these Wago's out soon.

Let's ask the AI ..

1714240101828.png

Ok ..

hmmm ..

1714240183842.png

looks like the AI got tried of me quickly .. as on the 3rd try it stepped out of the convo ..

1714240252505.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rwclark73

n3wb
Reaction score
I use them low voltage applications with high current draw. 24Vdc MDR power wiring. Also use them in light fixtures. 120 and 277volt. They are indeed handy. But in a branch circuit for Plugs or lights i will stick with mechanical twist and wire nut.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It’s just a heavy duty scotch lock.
Uh, not exactly...and I'd go so far as to say not even close after using all types of 3M splicing and connector products in my former career. I'm a big fan of 3M innovations.

Scotch Locks are not made to be opened up and are very difficult to open up and remove a wire or wires and the type that cannot be opened up oftentimes has a sealant that squirts over the connection when it's closed.

The Wago can be opened and re-closed easily and have has no sealant (at least not the 221 series I have). :cool:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I started using Wagos after learning about them from a YouTube review from "How To Home". They are reusable, different wire gauges can be joined together, and solid and stranded can be easily connected.
The biggest problem with any twist-on wire connector (3M, Ideal, G-B, etc.) is how they are mis-applied and wrongly installed.

The Wago is not immune from that but IMO you'd have to try harder to screw it up mainly because you can visibly see the wires AND they can re-seated if necessary.....some people, though, could screw up a one-car funeral procession....:headbang::lol:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Uh, not exactly...and I'd go so far as to say not even close after using all types of 3M splicing and connector products in my former career. I'm a big fan of 3M innovations.

Scotch Locks are not made to be opened up and are very difficult to open up and remove a wire or wires and the type that cannot be opened up oftentimes has a sealant that squirts over the connection when it's closed.

The Wago can be opened and re-closed easily and have has no sealant (at least not the 221 series I have). :cool:
Use them at a clients house where your insurance is on the line.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s total click bait to say wire nuts are a “hazard”. They are the gold standard of wire splicing and have been for decades. Anything can be a hazard if done incorrectly. I refuse to watch a video that is that misleading right from the thumbnail.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't watched the video so I may be wrong about this. I didn't see the image as the guy labeling those things. I saw it as the guy listing the labels that people have used to dismiss that particular thing.