Anyone know of a reputable camera that has the following...

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a affordable camera that I can use outdoor, 1080p or 3mp, poe, nightvision/infared, and has 2 way talk? The two way talk is the road block for me. Not too picky if it is a bullet or dome, hoping to use it for the front entrance of my house.

Thanks in advance!

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm just trying to find something that will work with the blueiris software. So far that is the route im looking to go with so i can keep all the cameras in one type of software.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@wantafastz28

First - 2mp will provide a better IR/night image then a 3mp camera.

Second - Ring is garbage in my opinion. I am speaking from personal use experience.

Third - If you want an HIK branded camera with these features as cited above go with the HIK cube (DS-2CD2432F-IW) they have a 1mp, 2mp, and 3mp version. Nelly's also sells a cube camera in 2 and 3mp versions and can be located here: Search results for: 'Cube camera' - Nelly's Security

Last edited:

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That camera does not do what the post is requesting at all. You will find that there are no one camera that can do all the different needs out there. But, in a post that requests two way communication that one falls short of the goal line.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That camera does not do what the post is requesting at all.

I understand that.. he wanted 3mp 1080p two way talk .. in my opinion this camera is better then what he wanted. Also I would never use a camera for two way talk. Just my opinion ...

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not stuck on 3mp. My main focus is quality with it still being affordable. I posted up the picture of the walk way in case it would help give you guys a better idea of what I'm working with. I guess my next question and focus is, can i get an instant alert to my phone from this in place of the doorbell. Also I worry that it says indoor use. I'm in AZ, and would hate for this to over heat in the summer, since temps can get up to 115-120F. I'm basically trying to find something that has all the features of a ring doorbell or camera doorbell, but through a blue iris server instead of something with a monthly "subscription."

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not stuck on 3mp. My main focus is quality with it still being affordable. I posted up the picture of the walk way in case it would help give you guys a better idea of what I'm working with. I guess my next question and focus is, can i get an instant alert to my phone from this in place of the doorbell. Also I worry that it says indoor use. I'm in AZ, and would hate for this to over heat in the summer, since temps can get up to 115-120F. I'm basically trying to find something that has all the features of a ring doorbell or camera doorbell, but through a blue iris server instead of something with a monthly "subscription."
I do not use Blue Iris, however I believe it does do Instant Notifications (email and possibly text even?) @fenderman can help answer that I'm sure.

You most likely can use an "indoor" camera on that porch as it is fully covered and out of the elements. The main thing like you noted is the heat in your location and these cameras do fall within spec.

Operating Conditions:
| -30 °C ~ 60 °C (-22 °F ~ 140 °F)
Humidity 95% or less (non-condensing)

HIK data sheet: Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

Also network camera critic did a review of the cube prior to passing away. It has some outside night shots: Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP IR Cube Camera Review

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same idea as you, I wanted the ring doorbell but after living with it for 2 days I returned it. Here is what I did and it still won't give you two talk sorry..

I installed a pir sensor on my porch, so any time their was motion it sent a alert to my phone. Also connected my Amazon echo to this, so when someone is on my porch, the echo says "someone is on your front porch" now it went and installed a hikvision 2342 camera out their so when I got the alert I could see who was out their. To me this option is a lot better then the ring. Now I have a doorbell and you don't even need to push the button to ring it . Also a nice security feature

I also use blue Iris to send me alerts and you will get a lot of false alerts. Rain,snow ect

Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) Amazon.com : Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) : Household Alarms And Detectors : Camera & Photo

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Network Camera US English Version 2.8mm Amazon.com: Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Network Camera US English Version 2.8mm: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
What Controller are you using to drive this?

Also connected my Amazon echo to this, so when someone is on my porch, the echo says "someone is on your front porch"
The post is a little misleading as it makes it sound like you linked this directly to your echo - yet I believe you need a zwave controller/interface for this device? yes? no?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What Controller are you using to drive this? The post is a little misleading as it makes it sound like you linked this directly to your echo - yet I believe you need a zwave controller? yes? no?

Your right sorry... I'm using Smartthings..

Yes you need a home automation hub as in Smartthings, or wink

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Am i forced mounting this camera on the same wall as the door? Or can the camera move while the body is mounted on the adjacent wall of the door?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same idea as you, I wanted the ring doorbell but after living with it for 2 days I returned it. Here is what I did and it still won't give you two talk sorry..

I installed a pir sensor on my porch, so any time their was motion it sent a alert to my phone. Also connected my Amazon echo to this, so when someone is on my porch, the echo says "someone is on your front porch" now it went and installed a hikvision 2342 camera out their so when I got the alert I could see who was out their. To me this option is a lot better then the ring. Now I have a doorbell and you don't even need to push the button to ring it . Also a nice security feature

I also use blue Iris to send me alerts and you will get a lot of false alerts. Rain,snow ect

Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) Amazon.com : Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) : Household Alarms And Detectors : Camera & Photo

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Network Camera US English Version 2.8mm Amazon.com: Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Network Camera US English Version 2.8mm: Camera & Photo

I would go this route if you already had a home automation hub or if you are thinking of getting into home automation. Sorry I did make this sound misleading,their is tons more effort then what was posted. So if you just want alert to your phone text,push notifications,email ect.

You need a home automation hub with a Zwave pir sensor (listed above) which you will need to weather proof yourself. You willl need a smartphone iOS or android.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I like this idea, but I really like the idea of talking to someone at the door if I'm not at home. Maybe i need to give this "want" up, it def. isn't a need.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you setup blue iris properly you will rarely if ever get a false alert...there are a myriad of options including zone crossing that can come in handy..also if you wish you can easily integrate a pir detector with blue iris using an ethernet linked sealevel device.