anyone have Ubiquiti NSM5 setup with multiple cameras?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I was researching the same thing I didn't find any PSU of high wattage that would fit in that dedicated (Ubiquiti) Flex enclosure. Hence why, I stated early on that a 3rd party IP rated enclosure was the most flexible route to use. As you're not restricted by space limitations imposed by the hardware in use.

Comes down to just buying the largest sized enclosure you believe will offer you the space you need - Now & Future.

This Ubiquiti 54 VDC, 80 watt, 1.5 amps is slightly larger than what comes with the Flex enclosure but doesn't have the same operating range which is 32 ~ 104'F / 0 ~ 40'C.

EdgePoint PoE Injector, 54V 80W

Whereas the Flex is 54 VDC, 60 watt, 1.11 amps, and has an operating range of -4 ~ 140'F / -20'C ~ 60'C.

In one one installation this TrendNet hardened industrial flat POE+ switch was used. It comes with a lifetime warranty and operating range of -40 ~ 140'F / -40'C ~ 75'C. :thumb:

What are the expected (seasonal) temperatures your installation will see? As you clearly noted environmental conditions play a huge role as to how things operate and their longevity. Below I was taking a base line as to how hot each device became after operating for several hours in a very cool conditioned space like my basement.

The floor measured 18.8'C / 65.84'F

The PSU after several hours of powering the four network appliances was 28'C / 82.4'F

The Flex Switch was 44'C / 111.2'F sitting on a cool floor.

That's why something as simple as installation location that is well shaded helps tremendously - if possible. If the installation site can't be placed in the shade than a simple plate cover can be installed to reduce the amount of direct sun light impacting the enclosure. It goes without saying painting the enclosure with UV rated white paint also helps out a lot.

When I am in doubt a temperature regulated fan is installed in a vented enclosure along with a cooling fan. In some cases I install thermal pads to a external heat sinks which are than affixed to the enclosure.
Wow, you have shared some very useful information. I really appreciate it.

I am located near Boston Massachusetts so we can get some cold winters and hot summers. I think the specs -4 ~ 140'F would have worked.

I'll take a look at the TrendNet industrial switch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, you have shared some very useful information. I really appreciate it.

I am located near Boston Massachusetts so we can get some cold winters and hot summers. I think the specs -4 ~ 140'F would have worked.

I'll take a look at the TrendNet industrial switch.
Let us know what you end up with as I'm sure the same information will help someone else down the line. As of this writing I'm prepping a few more devices to be migrated in my forth isolated network 42U server rack.

These are the last four of six Ubiquiti Tough Switches getting ready for deployment:

Once that's done the next step is to (very short term) allow a specific rack to be managed remotely via UNMS. I needed the ability to reliably update basic settings and firmware if and when needed. I'm in the middle of validating and setting proper expectations about how long something takes to show off line, on line, errors, and firmware updates.

So far the UNMS service has been very reliable in being able to detect a network appliance on line / off line within <20 seconds.

One of the most important features was detecting if a port was disconnected while I was remote. Thus far that requirement has been met but am still validating this by inserting / removing 288 ports. :facepalm: :(:lmao: Remote firmware updating has worked perfectly as I'd hope.

Once this has been validated a dedicated UNMS server will be deployed on site and will drill into the same via VPN. Just needed something quick and easy to deploy for myself and other clients needing the same but wanted to see how the product and service operated in a live environment. :thumb:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had to put this off but now I'm finaly ready to place the order for this stuf. Could someone familiar with this setup verify that I have everything I will need to get this ready to plug in my 4 cameras?

EBHA.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had to put this off but now I'm finaly ready to place the order for this stuf. Could someone familiar with this setup verify that I have everything I will need to get this ready to plug in my 4 cameras?
Those Ubiquiti NSM5's use strictly a 24 VDC passive POE injector so unless you're planning to use them, you could also use 2 of the Ubiquiti INS-3AF-O-G Outdoor Gigabit Adapter that @cyberwolf_uk mentioned earlier to power them from that industrial POE switch.

If that's the plan, will that switch be adequate for the 4 cams and those 2 radios? At 90W it probably is but I don't know the total power demand of all the devices it'll power.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those J pole brackets are great, very sturdy but are overkill for radios with plastic flanges. Unless you just want to spend that $45, or the elevations of where the radios are mounted vary a good bit requiring severe tilt, make your own like I do. Takes about 5 minutes each and costs about $5 apiece. They're sized for Nanostations, just shorten the vertical piece for Locos. Also, I wrap some white 3M #35 electrical tape around the vertical for about 6 inches where the clamp or nylon zip tie will go; it provides extra grip on the PVC, just barely cinch it up until you're happy with the radio alignment then tighten when alignment is good.

To mount under a horizontal eave, just leave off the bottom elbow and short nipple; flip over and screw the flange underneath the eave.

UBNT_Vertical-Wall-Mount_med.jpg

Last edited:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have used the DIY solution that @TonyR mentioned, as these things are so light this works just fine.:clap:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those Ubiquiti NSM5's use strictly a 24 VDC passive POE injector so unless you're planning to use them, you could also use 2 of the Ubiquiti INS-3AF-O-G Outdoor Gigabit Adapter that @cyberwolf_uk mentioned earlier to power them from that industrial POE switch.

If that's the plan, will that switch be adequate for the 4 cams and those 2 radios? At 90W it probably is but I don't know the total power demand of all the devices it'll power.
I believe the cams are under 11w each so 4 x 11 = 44w. I will double check though.

If I use that INS-3AF-0-G adapter I will have to upgrade the 5 port POE as the 5th port isnt POE. Do you know if the power brick it comes with is rated for outdoor use/temps??

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those J pole brackets are great, very sturdy but are overkill for radios with plastic flanges. Unless you just want to spend that $45, or the elevations of where the radios are mounted vary a good bit requiring severe tilt, make your own like I do. Takes about 5 minutes each and costs about $5 apiece. They're sized for Nanostations, just shorten the vertical piece for Locos. Also, I wrap some white 3M #35 electrical tape around the vertical for about 6 inches where the clamp or nylon zip tie will go; it provides extra grip on the PVC, just barely cinch it up until you're happy with the radio alignment then tighten when alignment is good.

To mount under a horizontal eave, just leave off the bottom elbow and short nipple; flip over and screw the flange underneath the eave.

View attachment 125819
These are great! I will def keep this in mind for the future but I will need the ability to angle/ adjust the radios so unfortunately they may not work in this situation.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score