Anyone have info on Flir systems?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
A friend of my mothers had someone snooping around her property and would like cameras at her house. Usually I would install Hikvision cameras and an NVR and be done with it, but my mothers friends friend owns a security equipment retailer and said she could get me some really good prices on a Flir system. In fact she said she could get me 4 2MP cameras, NVR and 3TB HD for about $700. I haven't done any research or price shopping at all yet, figured I would post here first to see if anyone has any insight.

Thanks,
Mik

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Flir acquired Lorex about a year and a half ago. Lorex sells kits made by Hikvision and ADI Global, a large wholesaler usually has a sale on Lorex bundles. If you chose this route, and there's nothing wrong with it, you'll have 4 good Hikvision made cameras and their NVR, but the firmware is written in a way where you can't add Hikvision cameras to the system, and Lorex carries a very limited range of Hikvision cameras. For example, if you wanted the same bullets, but different lenses, or different kinds of domes or other features you are stuck. Costco sold that system for $699 when it first came out, but has since raised the price, I believe $999.

You would be better off if you design what types of cameras you want where, what lenses you need, then have your mother's friend order the Hikvision 3MP cameras from ADI, they are cheap enough. If you want to save money, use an old PC to run IVMS4200 PCNVR, their free NVR software for Windows.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Flir bought Lorex, so whatever Lorex OEM's from whomever gives them the best price. The bundle they sell at Costco stores that is HDCVI is totally Dahua.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's really cool is the Flir One that's a cover for an iPhone 5 that has a built in thermal camera. Imagine how easy it is to get your co-workers passwords. You take a picture after they enter the password and the plastic keys retain the heat, pretty cool huh.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh wow, cool product. That would work on home combination locks too..scary..