Anyone have any info on this camera from "Tuya"?

madpuma13

n3wb
Reaction score
I randomly received this camera from what looks like a shell business/forwarding company. I didnt order it and I cant find any contact info for the business. The box looks a bit beat up and the contents have obviously been taken out and put back inside. The camera itself doesnt appear used.

It's a pretty cheap camera, is this thing worth using or is it a scam to get connected to my network somehow? Anyone hear of such a a thing?

HG-8520D-W

KenAllen15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tuya is more of a protocol than anything. They make chips that go inside of different devices to give them internet connectivity. The better question is why are you receiving random cameras in the mail? I wouldn't connect it to my network.

madpuma13

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely not planning on connecting it

Tuya is more of a protocol than anything. They make chips that go inside of different devices to give them internet connectivity. The better question is why are you receiving random cameras in the mail? I wouldn't connect it to my network.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two reasons - for electronics either hoping you connect it to your network and then they steal your info OR a seller is using a loophole to improve their Amazon algorithm as it counts as a "legit" purpose.