anyone have an app or way to open a gate when a camera alerts you of the presence of a vehicle with something like

Reaction score
uswitch

I would love to have an alert from the driveway cam hat pushes to my phone with a picture of who or what is at the gate and then the ability to open the gate via a button on bi

SIR VEYOR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like the Shelly relays may be part of your solution. People have been suggesting in another thread and gates were mentioned a bit.

trev-man

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I would love to have a custom button to assign things.

I got this to work in a roundabout way with my Shelly using one of the PTZ presets to turn on lights
I later set Blue Iris to detect people (Alert) with the AI but still have the option to turn it on from BI.

If you had BI set up for the license plate, you could have it open for you as you drove up.

The Shelly will work off of 12V or 120AC

Shelly device on Amazon
After the Shelly device is set up with the App and has an IP address create the script.

shelly.blue_iris_gate_open.PS1 script
Copy the following Bold lines into Notepad and save it as shelly.blue_iris_gate_open.PS1 or to your liking.

#Shelly device IP address - replace with your IP address
$myShellyIp = "192.168.0.62";

# Send a signal to turn on the switch - "Emulate button being pushed to open gate"
$myShellyStateOn = (Invoke-WebRequest -Method GET http://$myShellyIp/relay/0?turn=on).Content | ConvertFrom-Json;
$myShellyStateOn;

#Emulate pushing the button for five seconds
Start-Sleep -Seconds 5;

# Send a signal to turn on the switch
$myShellyStateOff = (Invoke-WebRequest -Method GET http://$myShellyIp/relay/0?turn=off).Content | ConvertFrom-Json;
$myShellyStateOff;

**Note: you may have to activate the Powershell service - Just start up a Powershell and test the script by typing:
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -File C:\Users\Coldair\shelly_device_scripts\shelly.blue_iris_gate_open.PS1

If not turned on, it will give an error that you can google to turn on.

Blue Iris:
1. Camera settings
2. PTZ/Control
3. Edit presets
4. Click on preset (Preset1)
5. Rename Open Gate
6. Click on the "On call" button
7. Click the Plus button to create an action in the "Action set" screen
8. Select "Run a program or write to a file"
9. In the File field enter C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
10. In the Parameters field enter your script -File C:\Users\Coldair\shelly_device_scripts\shelly.blue_iris_gate_open.PS1
11. Click OK to save and stuff out to the main screen.

Once setup you can access from both the App and UI3

1702796164635.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Coldair Yeah, I have this on my side in UI3 as a drop down (instead of a button) because I wanted multiple actions.

The thread starts here: Blue Iris UI3

Brian (bp2008), author of UI3, gave me some javascript code to get started.

Assuming your gate can to be triggered to open or close by a HTTP command, you should be able to set this up.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BTW, uswitch looks expensive, especially if you need multiple. That company is getting a huge profit margin from every customer.

The shelly mentioned by others like @trev-man does the same thing.

Or you can build your own using a ESP32 chip or similar
And there are a ton of sensors to you can add to a ESP32 chip, very flexible and easy to program if you are already on Home Assistant and using ESPHome — ESPHome. Search for tutorials on YouTube.

I suspect if you open up a uswitch, you will find a ESP32 or variant inside so you can easily determine their part cost.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
@Coldair Yeah, I have this on my side in UI3 as a drop down (instead of a button) because I wanted multiple actions.

The thread starts here: Blue Iris UI3

Brian (bp2008), author of UI3, gave me some javascript code to get started.

Assuming your gate can to be triggered to open or close by a HTTP command, you should be able to set this up.
I have a doorking gate opener with a call box $$$ that is now dead from several storms and while I have a new arm on order 1k I wasn't going to replace the call box but rather us BI cameras (there are 3 of them there now) to set up an alert to the cell phones and then we could have the option to open the gate via BI app. we have 2 Hi ouput POE switch on both side of the gates as we have 4 cameras on the northside covering the street and 4 cameras covering the road and gate approach

I also

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want to control something directly through BI, only way I can think of it to set up a PTZ preset on you camera that sends out an MQTT or HTTP message to your home automation system that would open a gate, etc. Gate latch/switch could be controlled with zwave or zibgee or even directly if already wired. Its definitely doable but presumes a lot of stuff already in place.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^ ^ Very much like @trev-man described in post #3 for Blue Iris to work with the Shelly Wi-Fi switches....direct from BI to the Shelly as well as an input to Shelly can be sent directly to BI. :cool:

Last edited: