Anybody using Cloudflare Tunnel?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video about this and wondered if anyone here had it or tried it. I have used Openvpn, I'm using ZeroTier at the moment, I don't have any real complaints about either one of those, just wondered if Cloudflare Tunnel was preferable for anyone.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not for cameras, but I do use it.
For web access you could use it behind their access controls But if you wanted access via mobile, then it's a bit like port forwarding. Just opens it up to the outside world and then use the native security controls on the interface for log in. I expect you could add some of their firewall rules to allow certain devices etc. or try and get their cloudflare warp client working. Which is like havin the tailscale/zeroteir client on the device to allow the connectivity. But I could not get it to work for my iphone to allow access to local stuff.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been looking into secure remote access to Home Assistant and noticed this is one of the simplest ways to do it. I'm curious if its doable with BI as well.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been looking into secure remote access to Home Assistant and noticed this is one of the simplest ways to do it. I'm curious if its doable with BI as well.
I use it for home assistant because I’m confident it’s authentication system with password and Totp is robust enough to be exposed.
I would like to figure out how to get it behind cloudflare access as well but that would need a service token added to the home assistant app, that is passed through

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+ For Cloudflare tunnels, being using them for over a year now works great and I can lock my systems down fully. I do use it for BI. I only use my VPN as a backup now

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw video on youtube and some various reddit thread of people mentioning that CF tunnel is not meant for video stream of any sort as it's against their TOS. Not sure how strict they are with this service, but I the youtuber in one video i saw mentioned that someone has reported being banned for using CF tunnel before due to streaming video content over it. Just something to keep in mind if you're considering using this instead of ZeroTier or VPN.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I saw video on youtube and some various reddit thread of people mentioning that CF tunnel is not meant for video stream of any sort as it's against their TOS. Not sure how strict they are with this service, but I the youtuber in one video i saw mentioned that someone has reported being banned for using CF tunnel before due to streaming video content over it. Just something to keep in mind if you're considering using this instead of ZeroTier or VPN.
You are right, it sort of is, but I think its more to do with people offering hosting services like Plex for example. I could setup a plex server for example, point it through my CF tunnel i.e w.w.w.movies2023.c.o.m and sell a service like Netflix to anyone who wants to pay. I have BI going through one of my tunnels and I use it if I get a push from BI to check the footage live. I'm not sitting with it streaming all day so I guess I fall under the T&C well I have for over a year.
But one of the main uses is for the inlaws to be able to access family photos as this is hosted on a Synology using the Photos app. They have the client on their phones / iPads and they can view shared photos between us all and it works like a iCloud backup / Google Photos whereby its backing up all their photos they take to my server. Where possible I like to keep my data and family's local rather than trusting it to Corps.