Anybody try the new Hikvision ColorVu 8MP ?

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 4MP version of their 24/7 color camera and it is pretty darn good at night time. Full color and very clear. I saw they released an 8mp version rated at .0005Lux. Also has a built in mic for audio.
Anyone have any user experience with it?
Thanks in advance,
James

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Model number would be helpful.

You have my interest :)

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Branded as LTS its listed as a CMIP3C82W-28MDA . I'm not sure what the actual Hikvision model number is though. Its a turret model. Not a bullet or a dome.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the 4MP version of their 24/7 color camera and it is pretty darn good at night time. Full color and very clear. I saw they released an 8mp version rated at .0005Lux. Also has a built in mic for audio.
Anyone have any user experience with it?
Thanks in advance,
James
Are you talking about the Hikvision DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) ? If so I did a quick comparison to it when I was testing the Dahua Color4K-X HERE if interested. Again the review was of the Dahua but wanted to compare against the Hik as both companies pushing the full color cams.

HTH

UPDATE: Scratch that as I see above you came back with model number and stating its a turret :)

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in the process of fitting a few of the turret ones DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL . They're my first IP cam, using them with Blue Iris.

So far so good, Only tested the audio with myself, will hopefully be able to test them out a bit better with someone else over the weekend.

You can see a small amount of footage here:

Pic here:

1643913337643.png

I do like the fact that it has a supplemental light what you can leave on and control the intensity from 0-100. I'm not using them on this install though as I'm positioning them all in places where much stronger motion activated floodlights come on at night, so they provide plenty of light, however it means it's pitch black otherwise due to no infra red. I'm fine with that though because if a person approaches, the floodlights will come on and I'll get an excellent picture.

If I was fitting at my parents place, I'd probably leave the supplemental light on overnight on a low and use them as spotlights.

I really like the active deterrent too, where it flashes the light if it detects a human. I currently have that to activate overnight, which you can set in the individual camera settings, ideally I'd like to figure out how to arm or disarm it in Blue Iris though, I need to look into that.

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I replaced the 4mp colorvu on my front porch with the DS-2CD2387G2-LU.
Not sure what was wrong with the 4mp but no matter what I did the picture looked grainy.
Also curious as to why dahua and hik are shying away from IR with 1/1.2 lens,
If my lights were to go out for some reason I'd like my cameras to still be able to see.
$200+ camera without varifocal or IR is a little pricey for me to be replacing current cameras.

I'm in the process of fitting a few of the turret ones DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL . They're my first IP cam, using them with Blue Iris..
I didn't see the LSU/SL available in the states that has the 2-way talk?

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also curious as to why dahua and hik are shying away from IR with 1/1.2 lens,
If my lights were to go out for some reason I'd like my cameras to still be able to see.
$200+ camera without varifocal or IR is a little pricey for me to be replacing current cameras.
It's an interesting point, and looking at the cam it's probably a matter of physical restrictions at this point.

It's a big cam and they have a good array if white LEDs for different purposes. Active intrusion, supplementary light etc.

For those who are happy to have a soft LED light on all night, it doesn't take much to get a decent image. As long as there's a small amount of ambient light you could even leave them off completely and have them come on with motion detection. If you're in a very low light environment though you probably can't get a decent enough image for motion detection without floodlights.

I do understand the desire for IR too though. I'm happy with mine because even though I don't want the white LED on all night, I don't need it as I have excellent floodlights.

I can see them trying to incorporate both perhaps down the line. For now I'm happy with decent white light functionality. It's well suited to more urban environments where there's already a certain amount of ambient light. If you're out in the sticks, probably best to use something else unless you have supplementary lighting installed.

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never use the aux LED lighting on my pair of 4mp 247 color cameras. Ambient night light whether it be from the moon or nearby driveway lights is usually more than enough for a crisp image. I have one in the driveway and one in the backyard. The one pointing to the back yard has little to no artificial light from the surrounding area. On a full cloudy night it will be a tad grainy but still way better that it would be with my other traditional IR cameras.
That's why I was curious how the 8mp performed. Usually going higher in mega pixel gives less nighttime performance but this one is rated at .0005 lux vs my 4mp which is rated at .0014 I'm quite pleased with the 4mp versions but if I could get audio and 8mp performance that matches or exceeds my 4mp nighttime performance.... It would give me something to think about.
MrRobinhood....in the fox video, before your motion detector light kicks in, is that image from total darkness? Like if you were to go outside you could barely see anything in front of you?

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
MrRobinhood....in the fox video, before your motion detector light kicks in, is that image from total darkness? Like if you were to go outside you could barely see anything in front of you?

Pretty much. There's pretty much zero ambient light out back unless there's good moonlight or the neighbours have their lights or floodlights on.

It may have been darker in that video as I usually ensure my cams pick up as little of the sky as possible, or it may have been particularly overcast that night. That fox cam isn't fixed yet and is on a temporary stand. I think it moved slightly today when I was digging out a channel in the wall render for cable. Looking at it now the overcast sky looks white and I can make out the patio pretty good even though there's no lights anywhere:

It's navigable by a human by moonlight if need be, but that's all it is, moonlight at 11pm:

Patio chair and pots:

1643928960583.png

Skyline and trees (which won't be in the final cam position at all):

1643929030872.png

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The same cams on the front of the property look fantastic in comparison, due to the streetlights and porch light.

Completely different from the back.

I won't be posting pics from the front, but they look super sharp with all the ambient light, and with WDR turned on it looks like a decent film shot. I'm not sure I'd count on that alone to capture a decent moving face though, hence why I think the flood lights are important so you can have a fast shutter speed if not using on the onboard camera lights.

Although the onboard lights would be plenty sufficient if you don't' have floodlights, they're really bright. Not sure how well the fast switching from bright to dark would pan out though if you're using the cameras active deterrent flashing light feature with no supplementary light.

Last edited:

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's why I was curious how the 8mp performed. Usually going higher in mega pixel gives less nighttime performance but this one is rated at .0005 lux vs my 4mp which is rated at .0014 I'm quite pleased with the 4mp versions but if I could get audio and 8mp performance that matches or exceeds my 4mp nighttime performance.... It would give me something to think about.
before I installed the 1/1.2 I had it side by side with a 5442 varifocal in my basement on a bench.
Now I don’t claim to be a camera tester by any means but I was able to distinguish more color and overall detail with the 8mp hik than the 5442 in complete darkness. I have 5442’s all around and this camera got me excited with the 8mp and its night capability.
I’m just not sold on lack of an IR option.
If dahua or hik comes out with a 8mp 1/1.2 turret with ir and varifocal my wife will probably divorce me so maybe it’s a good thing

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For comparison. Here is a screen grab from my 4MP ColorVu at 3:00am this morning. There’s a bit of snow on the ground. But it was pouring rain. So it’s total cloud cover and there was zero artificial light sources. There are no street lights in my neighborhood and this is the back yard/back patio. So it’s very dark out.
75078948-2694-46A5-87BE-A40A6603B116.jpeg75078948-2694-46A5-87BE-A40A6603B116.jpeg

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^^^^^ I selected thumbnail up there. I have no idea why it is an obnoxious full screen view. Sorry.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What shutter speed is that above? I can make a cheap cam look like that at midnight but motion is a blur.

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve never played with the shutter speed before. I just looked and the configuration screen says the following:
Resolution 2560*1440
Frame rate 24 fps
I frame interval 50
Exposure time 1/12
Day/night switch = Day
Supplemental light = OFF
There’s a bunch more settings as well but nothing that I think you’re looking for?
if there’s something else, let me know and I’ll dig further.
I don’t see a “shutter speed” setting per se. I assume it’s the exposure time?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To me that picture is kind of grainy, the gain is probably very high and produces the graininess. With a shutter speed of 1/12, shown as "exposure time", any motion will be a blur. As an aside, a frame rate of 24Fps is not needed, at all, for surveillance and the I frame interval should match the frame rate for best motion detection.