Anybody know of a roof jack for (8) Cat5e's to enter attic?

Reaction score
I'm running 1.5" CPVC conduit around the perimeter of the roof (its a parapet design) back to a common entry on a flat roof into the 18" deep attic and then into the ceiling of the house. Using buried-grade Cat5e cable, and the CPVC conduit will be painted.

Using tees with a gooseneck and drip leg with a neck down to 3/4" for each Cat5e cam wire entry into the CPVC main run.

Stymied at sealing the hole I have to make in the roof. While I can use a 1.5" plumbing vent flashing on the flat roof, and then fab a gooseneck, and stuff the wires in, it seems rather …crude. Not to mention a direct path for small AZ bugs to enter the house at night (these little devils blow right through the less-than-1/8"- screen-grid I have secured onto exhaust fan discharges - the only way to keep them out during monsoon season is to keep the exhaust fans running! But I digress...).

While I could also silicone seal the cr@p out of the wire(s) entry into the 1.5" CPVC gooseneck, it's still a bit...crude. :idk: And here in the hot AZ sun, it would also need to be at least an annual maintenance item

Have not found anything commercially available for this task. Anybody found something a little better designed?

Thanks all. A great site for figuring this stuff out.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
could you place an 8-port (PoE) switch in a weather-tight box there?
so you only need to run ONE cat5 and one power wire in from the house...

Reaction score
Thanks for the quik reply.
Interesting idea; did not think of that.
But we run 100+ for 3 months of the year, and in the 30's (sometimes the teens!) 3 months of the year around here; the ventilated attic temps would probably be close to those. So I don't think that would be in the range of the service temp for the switch.
That, and I just purchased a 16 port PoE+ switch (I have half a dozen cams inside as well), and am inserting it in my system as we speak...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the quik reply.
Interesting idea; did not think of that.
But we run 100+ for 3 months of the year, and in the 30's (sometimes the teens!) 3 months of the year around here; the ventilated attic temps would probably be close to those. So I don't think that would be in the range of the service temp for the switch.
That, and I just purchased a 16 port PoE+ switch (I have half a dozen cams inside as well), and am inserting it in my system as we speak...
Indeed - the "attic" ( 18 inch space between the roof and ceiling ) is going to get super hot. I would avoid placing any equipment in there.

Also, I would prefer to come in from the side of the attic walls, and not the top of the roof - want to minimize making any holes on the roof due to potential leaks.