Anybody else using parking assist in their garage?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got my shed built and cleared enough out of my garage to get my truck in the garage (after the hail storm damaged my truck of course). Parking is a bit tight, I considered hanging tennis balls, floor ramps, a guide on the wall, and I found this on Amazon. It's looking like it will work out pretty well for us. If you have a larger garage it might not do as well since your range, sideways, is limited. Since it is motion activated I didn't want it activating every time we walked out in the garage so I used an adapter in the light socket of the opener for power so when the opener is inactive the lasers won't be coming on. I was curious if others have tried these lasers to help garage parking.20231005_055313.jpg20231005_072955.jpg20231005_073317.jpg20231005_110454.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Had one at my previous house. I don't remember how it plugged in, but it was fully integrated into the door opener so it just came on for a couple minutes when the door was opened. But I rarely drive and the person who did drive didn't really care about the laser dot. So we haven't installed any where we live now.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had one of those at a previous house back in the early 2000's. Worked well and the Installation was simple; just plugged it into the outlet for the garage door opener mounted on the ceiling. Still have it in a box in my new garage, so if yours ever breaks, you can have this one.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@gwminor48,
Seeing your post made me want to do something to assist the wife; she either doesn't come in far enough and the garage door hits her bumper OR she comes in too far and we can't get between her front bumper and some shelves!

This caught my eye at Walmart....gee, I wonder why? :lol:

View attachment 174111
This one looks to have static settings. I found a similar one on Amazon that can be customized to different distances:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This one looks to have static settings. I found a similar one on Amazon that can be customized to different distances:

https://www.amazon.com/Striker-Adjustable-Garage-Parking-Sensor/dp/B00W9EBF0Y/
I have one of those, it works fine but I can hear some of the sounds it makes which can be slightly annoying at times.

What I really want is a just garage door opener that allows you to hook up a second ir beam sensor at bumper height and sends a signal when the door is closed that tells your car to ignore the power liftgate button on the keyfob.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, I consider myself tech savvy, but, I have a squish-able 3" earth ball hanging from a rope that when my wife's engine hood touches it, she stops.

Low tech, but effective. :)
Wife has macular degeneration, she can drive during the day but not at night. When she comes into garage during the day it's still too dim and the contrasts are poor.
She needs a brightly lit target straight ahead over the wheel in her sight-line so she can drive toward it then be cued visually to stop.
I's going to be somewhat of an experiment and a work in progress.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
She needs a brightly lit target straight ahead over the wheel in her sight-line so she can drive toward it then be cued visually to stop.
A motion activated light switch could be of some help to brighten the whole garage automatically. They also make various rubber wheel stops you could mount to the floor, but they could be annoying when the vehicle isn't in the garage.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A motion activated light switch could be of some help to brighten the whole garage automatically. They also make various rubber wheel stops you could mount to the floor, but they could be annoying when the vehicle isn't in the garage.
My wife would trip on those on a daily basis. ;)

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
My wife would trip on those on a daily basis. ;)
Hell, I would trip over those on a daily basis. You probably remember the vid I posted a couple of years ago when I fell going up one step onto my wooden back porch and busted the wooden screen door with my head. Same thing would happen on the concrete, except it would be broken concrete instead of a wood screen door.....I got special powers....:banghead:

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hell, I would trip over those on a daily basis. You probably remember the vid I pisted a couple of years ago when I fel going up one step onto my wooden back porch and busted the wooden screen door with my head. Same thing would happen on the concrete, except it would be broken concrete instead of a wood screen door.....I got special powers....:banghead:
I remember, you bounced well. ;)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not saying I am a klutz, but yeah, I am probably a klutz. You wouldn't want me in charge of holding a priceless Ming Dynasty vase.......:lol: Dill Pickle fingers has a way of doing that to you.
Well, like a lot of other men in their mid-70's I drag my feet a lot....which scoots up rugs, etc. and I can trip on tiny things...like a B-B. Of course, that had nothing to do with backing up with a push mower, tripping over a short stump, falling backwards and breaking my tailbone 9 weeks ago tomorrow. That was absent mindedness.....I forgot that a tree had been there for the last 17 years until it was cut down this past spring.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, like a lot of other men in their mid-70's I drag my feet a lot....which scoots up rugs, etc. and I can trip on tiny things...like a B-B. Of course, that had nothing to do with backing up with a push mower, tripping over a short stump, falling backwards and breaking my tailbone 9 weeks ago tomorrow. That was absent mindedness.....I forgot that a tree had been there for the last 17 years until it was cut down this past spring.
I remember that video. You doing OK? I heard your butt got cracked when you fell..:p

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I remember that video. You doing OK? I heard your butt got cracked when you fell..:p
Oh, yeah it was broke, all right...doing OK now, thanks.
I went the full 8 weeks sitting only on the special cushion then Monday bush-hogged our 2 acre field on my Mahindra, Tuesday got on the riding mower and mowed the 1/2 acre back yard, Thursday mowed the 1/2 acre front yard then Friday used the push mower in the 20' x 50' dog run (where I tripped and broke said tailbone). I used my cushion on the tractor and on the riding mower and all seems OK again....until the next stupid episode of "Old Fart Does it Again." :highfive:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, yeah it was broke, all right...doing OK now, thanks.
I went the full 8 weeks sitting only on the special cushion then Monday bush-hogged our 2 acre field on my Mahindra, Tuesday got on the riding mower and mowed the 1/2 acre back yard, Thursday mowed the 1/2 acre front yard then Friday used the push mower in the 20' x 50' dog run (where I tripped and broke said tailbone). I used my cushion on the tractor and on the riding mower and all seems OK again....until the next stupid episode of "Old Fart Does it Again." :highfive:
Good to hear you are back in the saddle again. I got to bush hog my fields this weekend. I cut branches around the field edges and the trails in the woods last weekend and stepped into what must of been a big nest of chiggers. Them little turds just ate my legs up. I am covering myself with deet this weekend. I have itched and scratched all week.