Any way to use surplus RAM ?

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I repurposed the PC to run BI it only had 8 GB of RAM, so I decided to upgrade. Turned out that 32 GB was not much more $ than 16, so that's what I put in.

The PC operates to my satisfaction but has so much unallocated memory.

Is there any settings in Win10 or BI that I could tweak to take advantage (buffers, etc.)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I repurposed the PC to run BI it only had 8 GB of RAM, so I decided to upgrade. Turned out that 32 GB was not much more $ than 16, so that's what I put in.

Is there any settings in Win10 or BI that I could tweak to take advantage (buffers, etc.)?
If the OS doesnt need the ram it wont use it, even if you could force it, there would be zero benefit.
Blue iris has a network receive buffer setting in the video settings that is presumably stored in ram but again, your system is no maxing out the defaults and raising them wont change anything.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
How did you discern the computer (bios) sees all the memory?
I forgot to add that some systems require specific placement
to see all the memory.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score

Just let Windows manage the RAM and leave it at that. You aren’t qualified to know how and what to do with it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
In the old days and I’m showing my age here you could create a RAM disk with the additional RAM, you’d then have a hard drive with RAM speeds.

These days, Windows should put any spare RAM to use as cache. This is why when people who moved over to Windows 10 in the early days complained about its memory usage. This also caused issue with some systems where due to an issue with the RAM, with Windows 10 the Pc would crash as Windows was trying to use RAM that previously hadn’t ever been used.

Upshot is there’s not much you can really use the extra RAM for. As @fenderman points out you could increase the cache per cam but we are talking about small increases.