Any specific paint recommendations for my 5442 to match the house?

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking to paint my 5442 turrets to match the house. What have you had the best luck with? Spray paint? Plasti-dip? Outdoor enamel?

What should I mask off/be careful to avoid painting? Lens, of course...

Thanks in advance for any tips. Didn't want to just go to the store and pick up something and then regret it later.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I usually use spray paint but I'm not painting to match a specific color. In that case you'll need a custom mix, probably, which means in the can style paint. I'd try to get an enamel base, semi-gloss, if you can.

Mask the lens, of course. I usually pull the cover for the SD card, mask the hole and paint the cover separately. Also, make sure you stuff a little piece if paper towel or tissue into the hole for the microphone. Just remember to pull that back out when your done painting. I usually mask the grommet for the cable and the cable, itself, as well. If it's a turret don't forget about the inside of the turret.

Rough the existing paint up with 200 grit sand paper first. Wipe the whole thing down with denatured alcohol, don't use lacquer thinner or acetone because it will attack the paint and make it blister. Apply two thin coats with a day between coats to let it dry properly.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I usually use spray paint but I'm not painting to match a specific color. In that case you'll need a custom mix, probably, which means in the can style paint. I'd try to get an enamel base, semi-gloss, if you can.

Mask the lens, of course. I usually pull the cover for the SD card, mask the hole and paint the cover separately. Also, make sure you stuff a little piece if paper towel or tissue into the hole for the microphone. Just remember to pull that back out when your done painting. I usually mask the grommet for the cable and the cable, itself, as well. If it's a turret don't forget about the inside of the turret.

Rough the existing paint up with 200 grit sand paper first. Wipe the whole thing down with denatured alcohol, don't use lacquer thinner or acetone because it will attack the paint and make it blister. Apply two thin coats with a day between coats to let it dry properly.
Great advice, thanks @sebastiantombs. I need to touch up a few other spots on the house so I'll end up getting a color match. It should make the turrets blend in extremely well!

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had to spray some outdoor electrical boxes recently and got some of this paint at a graffiti shop and it worked pretty well.

The thing that surprised me was the insane selection of colours. You can get it in nearly any colour you like in a spray can, so you don't have to mix a custom colour and brush it on, so you end up with a nicer finish.

There's over 200 colours available for this one type of paint

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I sprayed my first cameras today. Got to say, the turrets are a pain in the ass.

The tolerance is so tight on the Hikvision turrets that you really need them in pretty much the exact position they'll be mounted at before you paint them, otherwise when you adjust them it will scrape the paint off, even with thin coats. I had to touch it up again once mounted.

Not sure if the tolerances on the Dahua are the same or not.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's the same with Dahua lol. They have to be tight tolerances or perps could easily move them around.

But yeah, I try my best to assemble it as close to the final alignment as possible, but even then I have had a little touch up to do.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My secret is to rough up the original paint AND let it cure for a few days after the final coat. You'd be surprised how much difference that can make with adhesion.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good point, didn't have the patience for that today! Wanted to get them back up and online.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1 - truth to that. When I roughed them up and let them sit they usually don't need touch up.

But I am usually impatient and like paint it wait 20min and hang it up LOL. Even touching it up it goes up faster lol.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Letting it cure makes it durable, long term durable. Patience isn't normally my strong suit either but after working with paints for a living I learned the hard way.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Letting it cure makes it durable, long term durable.
One hundred percent correct!!

Replaced a set of rain gutters with the Home Depot style of vinyl. i.e. not a good choice, but at the end of the trail one must use what is available!

Used a special latex paint under coat made for plastic. Then used standard outdoor latex house paint. It took 2 weeks to cure, so as stated above patience is a requirement. After three years in the sun, no cracking or pealing.

For metal or small camera enclosures one could cure in an oven at 100 to 125 F for small parts. (bread proof) Would only suggest if the paint is latex. An oil base paint with a gas oven is NOT a good option.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI -

I spray primed the camera and picked up a matched exterior rated paint "sample" / test can from Home Depot. ( they matched the color )

Last edited: