Any smart people know away to Trigger a camera to record using a URL

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ipc-hfw5442t-ase-ni

Looking for the url to trigger this camera to record.

I have already tried:
hxxp:/192.168.1.18/trigger-motion/
That didn't work.

Last edited:

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
still looking for help.. I know it's possible to do and I know someone out there is knowledgeable :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try the below, subbing in your cam's IP, etc. I assume you have the cam's recording path in place and configured (SD card, NAS, etc.)

Dahau_record-URL.jpg

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try the below, subbing in your cam IP, etc. I assume you have the cam's record path set (SD card, NAS, etc.)

View attachment 105055
Set to SD, thank you.. I'm going to play around with this for a bit and let you know ow if I get it working..

I basically have a External motion detector that's able to send a url to the camera automatically when it detects motion.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't use that URL (I have cams streaming to Blue Iris VMS on a PC) but I think "Mode" has to be set to "1" to begin recording.
yes, zero dose nothing

.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=0 DOSE NOTHING

.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=1 Starts a recording and records till its been stopped

.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=2 Stops the recording

so i thinkin I can work with this, because I'm able to use 2 urls in my settings;

.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=1
Delay 2 Minuets
.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=2

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes, zero dose nothing

.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=0 DOSE NOTHING

.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=1 Starts a recording and records till its been stopped

.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=2 Stops the recording

so i thinkin I can work with this, because I'm able to use 2 urls in my settings;

.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=1
Delay 2 Minuets
.117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=2
I wish there was a url to use the cameras set motion time.. again this works and you are awesome thank you!

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well if it's not one thing wrong it's another...

So here is the problem now..
When I type the url into my motion software it gets reformatted like this:

117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode[0].Mode=1
To
117/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&RecordMode0.Mode=1

It's taking out the [ ]

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use Hubitat but I read enough to discover that those 2 brackets ( [ and ] are "special characters" and Hubitat will remove them to prevent issues, I guess.

But if you read up or ask someone that knows or ask a Hubitat forum or knowledgebase, there may be a way to sneak them into the URL, maybe using ASCII (decimal 91 is left bracket " [ " and decimal 93 is right bracket " ] " ).

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't use Hubitat but I read enough to discover that those 2 brackets ( [ and ] are "special characters" and Hubitat will remove them to prevent issues, I guess.

But if you read up or ask someone that knows or ask a Hubitat forum or knowledgebase, there may be a way to sneak them into the URL, maybe using ASCII (decimal 91 is left bracket " [ " and decimal 93 is right bracket " ] " ).
Thanks , I am having one on one chat with one of the coders at habitat.. they are trying some stuff on there end as we speak.. I'm sure will figure it out, thanks

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Starts = .117%2Fcgi-bin%2FconfigManager.cgi%3Faction%3DsetConfig%26RecordMode%5B0%5D.Mode%3D1

Stops = .117%2Fcgi-bin%2FconfigManager.cgi%3Faction%3DsetConfig%26RecordMode%5B0%5D.Mode%3D2

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As a test, you may want to use a URL in IE and see if the camera stops and starts recording. Once the URL is entered, a screen should display asking for a user name and password. However, if using FireFox one will have to add the ports to about:config as FF will reject the 10080 serices of camera ports. If it works, then try it in the Rules Machine. If successful the response should be "OK" when using the URL in IE.

Did find that Hubitat would not work unless the user, password and port were added to the URL.

In this case, camera 7 is set for auto recording as the array numbers cameras starting with zero not 1.

Also try using a GET statement for testing in IE. If the URL is working, IE will return the system time as in the below URL example. If it works the time will be returned. If a failure then ERROR or some other returned message. With a SET statement, if working, the return is OK.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thankful that Blue Iris and Shelly Wi-Fi switches pass HTTP URL's without encoding it and don't have issues with special characters in it....whatever you put in the URL, gets sent, correct or not. At least that's what I've experienced to this point. :)